"Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
Barn is looking great! Question: why did you frame out the back wall w/ 2x4s (especially on a budget? I will be doing a similar build and was planning to use nailer boards on the inside in lieu of 2x4s since there is no real wall load.

Needed space for the insulation. Believe me, the foam insulation is incredible.

Got the front posts up and the miniblinds in. The outside is pretty much complete now. Waiting on the septic/water catch system now....

DSC_0021_zpsa2c28f9e.jpg

Shower tile is now complete. Built a shower curtain rod out of copper pipe and an old barbed wire fence stay. "Custom" rustic outlet covers for the front room are almost complete. Septic and rain catch goes in this week- hopefully....
DSC_0024_zps5bfaa62f.jpg

DSC_0026-1_zps30d58ca6.jpg

DSC_0028_zps80f50c5c.jpg

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #35  
Love the horse shoe and how creative you are!!!!

Eddie

Happy to report that the BB construction is complete. The plumbing finally was finished up and is operational. All that remains there is to close in the pump/filtration system. It's taken almost a year from start to finish but it hasn't seemed like it.

Den area with the all-important tv....

Breakfast area:

Kitchen. Built the island and countertop out of drill pipe and 2x4s then covered them with "bar-table" plastic.

Bathroom:

Bedroom:

Rain catch system- includes a 1000 gallon tank, sediment/charcoal/UV filter, pump and pressure tank.

Framed the AC unit with pipe gates. The center and right one swing out for access. Going to cover them with cedar stays.

So what did we learn? Mostly, that the bulk of the expense is in steel, slab, septic, electrical. And that is really almost size-independent. Even with an RV we would have needed the essentials. It's been fun and challenging. Now, there is a spot over the hill that's just right for a 2-stall barn.......

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #38  
Congrats, that came out pretty great! Care to share any final budget figures?

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #39  
Very Impressive. You have a very good eye for detail.

One thing that I noticed was that the trap for the sink is only on one side, yet it looks like another drain goes straight down to the sewer or septic tank. If there isn't a trap, methane and other sewage gases will come up through the pipe and into the room.

Eddie

Very Impressive. You have a very good eye for detail.

One thing that I noticed was that the trap for the sink is only on one side, yet it looks like another drain goes straight down to the sewer or septic tank. If there isn't a trap, methane and other sewage gases will come up through the pipe and into the room.

Eddie

The white "pipe" on the left of the picture is one of the indoor "vents", not another drain....