"Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #1  

DH44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX45
Plans were to build a 24x60 pole barn but those plans have evolved. Sacrificing a little storage space we felt was offset by needing some room for visitors, so we decided to close in one of the 20x24' "stalls" of the pole barn. Plans are to frame out the inside with one bedroom, bathroom, one front den/dining, and a 6' covered front porch. Water will be from a 1000 gallon rain-collection system, with a conventional septic system. It's evolving as we go, with no real plans. Here are several pictures- couple of the framework going up and one of what will be the front porch view- minus the burn barrel, of course! I'll keep posting pics as the work progresses if there's any interest.....
DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #2  
Barndominium, I like it. You should leave a stall door on it so when the inlaws come you can lock them in their room.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #3  
Looks like you have plenty of room if you wanted to add on to it and make it longer in the future. Just be sure to leave that end wall open from wiring and plumbing so it's an easy add on.

I like the use of steal beams and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Especially the guest quarters.

Eddie

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #4  
... I'll keep posting pics as the work progresses if there's any interest.....

There's interest! :thumbsup: I always love a barn build, and I love it even more if there's some creative budgeting involved.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #5  
watching :thumbsup:

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #6  
we lived in ours for 2 years til we got the house built. now it's an air conditioned storage space.

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #7  
Looking forward to seeing how this develops! We are giving consideration to a barn/home type when we downsize! Keep the up dates coming! :thumbsup:

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
Got the roof supports welded up this week. Now we're working on the footing. Plans are to pour a footing around the bottom that the wall tin will rest on to help keep critters from working there way in....

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins #9  
Looking good. Tell us a little more about the welding. I've never really seen a metal building go up. What are you using to weld with? What are the tricks to welding a structure like this? What experience have you had?

/ "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins
Looking good. Tell us a little more about the welding. I've never really seen a metal building go up. What are you using to weld with? What are the tricks to welding a structure like this? What experience have you had?

See the old blue welder in one of the first pictures? That's the ticket. I'm not doing the welding- a fellow that helps out with the cattle is taking care of that part. The first trick was getting the poles set and level. There was significantly more slope to the run of the building than it looked like so he had to lengthen a few of the steel posts to get it level. Then one of the interior posts set up a little off vertical so we got the upper C Purlin in place, then used a come-along to pull the post vertical and welded the C Purlin and that held it level.

As I said, this is a budget-deal and we're both learning as it goes along but it's fun so far......