Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Case DX45

Default "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

Plans were to build a 24x60 pole barn but those plans have evolved. Sacrificing a little storage space we felt was offset by needing some room for visitors, so we decided to close in one of the 20x24' "stalls" of the pole barn. Plans are to frame out the inside with one bedroom, bathroom, one front den/dining, and a 6' covered front porch. Water will be from a 1000 gallon rain-collection system, with a conventional septic system. It's evolving as we go, with no real plans. Here are several pictures- couple of the framework going up and one of what will be the front porch view- minus the burn barrel, of course! I'll keep posting pics as the work progresses if there's any interest.....

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

Default Re: "Budget" Barndominium Build Begins

Barndominium, I like it. You should leave a stall door on it so when the inlaws come you can lock them in their room.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Looks like you have plenty of room if you wanted to add on to it and make it longer in the future. Just be sure to leave that end wall open from wiring and plumbing so it's an easy add on.

I like the use of steal beams and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Especially the guest quarters.

Eddie

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by DH44 View Post
    ... I'll keep posting pics as the work progresses if there's any interest.....
    There's interest! I always love a barn build, and I love it even more if there's some creative budgeting involved.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota B1750HST4x4

watching

Tractor
    NH TC45

we lived in ours for 2 years til we got the house built. now it's an air conditioned storage space.
    Mike

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Looking forward to seeing how this develops! We are giving consideration to a barn/home type when we downsize! Keep the up dates coming!
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Tractor
    Case DX45

Got the roof supports welded up this week. Now we're working on the footing. Plans are to pour a footing around the bottom that the wall tin will rest on to help keep critters from working there way in....

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Looking good. Tell us a little more about the welding. I've never really seen a metal building go up. What are you using to weld with? What are the tricks to welding a structure like this? What experience have you had?
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Case DX45

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    Looking good. Tell us a little more about the welding. I've never really seen a metal building go up. What are you using to weld with? What are the tricks to welding a structure like this? What experience have you had?

See the old blue welder in one of the first pictures? That's the ticket. I'm not doing the welding- a fellow that helps out with the cattle is taking care of that part. The first trick was getting the poles set and level. There was significantly more slope to the run of the building than it looked like so he had to lengthen a few of the steel posts to get it level. Then one of the interior posts set up a little off vertical so we got the upper C Purlin in place, then used a come-along to pull the post vertical and welded the C Purlin and that held it level.

As I said, this is a budget-deal and we're both learning as it goes along but it's fun so far......

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast