a jack for spreading??

/ a jack for spreading?? #1  

BoFuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota L3400
I used my telehandler to move my 40 foot container and the guy directing me did not tell me that I had the forks tilted too far forward, so I slightly pushed in the door frame for the small door on the side. Now it won't open. I need to put a 2X4 or 4X4 up along the top of the door frame on the inside, then put another 4X4 along the top of the other side of the container, and then somehow find a hydraulic jack that I can put horizontally between them and give it a few pumps to force the top of the door frame back flush.
Do they make a jack like that? and can I rent one? If so, what is it called? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

/ a jack for spreading?? #2  
You can probably rig something up with some heavy threaded rod and a turn-buckle like assembly or get a farm jack and block it up so it reaches the frame and use it to open it. I am sure there will be a better solution.

/ a jack for spreading?? #3  
Could you use a jack from your car or truck. A lot of them are scissor jacks with a screw to make them go up. Just a thought. Rick

/ a jack for spreading?? #4  
the tool for that is a hydraulic porta power, If you have a freind who races cars he will have one .he uses it to put frame rails back

/ a jack for spreading?? #5  
Sounds like you need a porta-power. You'll have to do some shoring any route you take, and it would be very helpful to have a helper (something I never have). I suppose one of these could be rented, but I found a 10 ton one on craigslist for $60, looked brand new.

/ a jack for spreading?? #7  
Sounds like you need a porta-power. You'll have to do some shoring any route you take, and it would be very helpful to have a helper (something I never have). I suppose one of these could be rented, but I found a 10 ton one on craigslist for $60, looked brand new.

I second that. You need a porta-power.

I have the unit in the above link.

/ a jack for spreading?? #8  
An ordinary bottle jack of sufficient tonnage would work also as long as it's oriented properly.

And that's simply to put the pump side down so that it is under the oil level and not trying to pump air.

A "hi-lift" style jack is also a handy thing to have, sort of like one of the old bumper jacks on steroids.

/ a jack for spreading??
GLyford said:
And that's simply to put the pump side down so that it is under the oil level and not trying to pump air.

A "hi-lift" style jack is also a handy thing to have, sort of like one of the old bumper jacks on steroids.

I have a hi-lift, but I didn't think I could get anywhere near the pressure needed to "unbuckle" the door jamb. I assume it would take a hydraulic. I'll look for a porta-power.

/ a jack for spreading?? #10  
Jack post/adjustable lally column

Tiger Brand Super "S" 7 ft. 9 in. Jack Post J-S-93 at The Home Depot

View attachment 270411

Strong galvanized plates
4 ft. 6 in. - 7 ft. 9 in. adjustment range
Corrects sagging floors, supports basement beams, takes weight off large furniture or appliances
Compression load range - 18,000 lbs - 11,350 lbs.
Double carriage bolts and nuts
Flush adjusting steel nut with self-centering pilot into the tube
Positive locating holes
Adjusts easily with a 3/4 in. open-end or adjustable wrench

Bruce