shed slab

/ shed slab #1  

lovemytoys

Gold Member
Tractor
bx24
I'm looking at pouring a slab for 12x20 shed .would i 4" pour work or waste of time .its going to be for lawn mowers ,hunting eq.im not sure if i would be putting my kubota bx24 in but i might

/ shed slab #2  
Depends on your soil, and also if you are planning to put a cmall chain wall in it or not. Where i live i poured a 6 inch slab 14 x 24 3 years ago. No change wall, all 1/2 and 3/8 rebar on 12 inch centers, suppose to be 4000lbs mix with activator in it. I have sand ground but this area had been packed hard from being a previous dirt parking area. I have had mine and many full sized pickups with loads over it, bad drought last year and lots of rain now and the year before. One small crack on the off lip as it tapers down to 3 1/2 inches there and only aboput 9 inches long is the crack. This has No chain wall on it, wish i had put one at least where i drive on and off of this slab. If you are ever going to put any posts or walls on it put a chain wall!! At least a post base where the posts will be.

/ shed slab #3  
I worked for a ready mix co for 24 years and seen it all but a 4" thick floor is all you would need. You would be wasting money to pour it thicker. The key is in the sub-base. Make sure it is good and compacted, use rock instead of sand and get it up high enough where the water will flow away from and not under it. Also a little support in the concrete doesn't hurt a thing, like reinforcement wire or rebar and don't pour it real wet, the more water you add the weaker the concrete but you don't have to pour so dry you can't work with it. So a medium slump is what you want, tell the concrete plant you want a 4 to 41/2 inch slump when you order. You do all that and you can park what ever you want on it.

I also agree with david on a 4000psi mix.

Last edited:
   / shed slab
I'm going to pour it on virgin soil .i removed a old shed thats been there long time (old out house then chicken coup.i was thinking 3/8 rebar with fiber reinforcement

/ shed slab #5  
Lay down about six inches of crushed gravel and pour on that. You could also consider paver blocks.:)

/ shed slab #8  
Your on the right track with the rebar and the 4" of fiberglass reinforced concrete.
But as others have stated your base the slab will sit on is very important.
Id have to see the lay of land to tell you for sure but if it were me i would level the sub base and put at least 8" of good quality crushed gravel 12" would be even better than compact.This does two things the added elevation helps shed water away from the slab and it will be a solid dry base for your slab to sit on this will give you minimal movement with the weather changes.@ a foot thick your at 8.88yd's for your footprint.
get 12 yrd's and you'll have plenty to slope away from your slab all around it and that to me would be cheap insurance to avoid future problems with your investment.
A good foundation is the most important thing for the longevity of any structure.
And it would be a good excuse to get some seat time too.:thumbsup:

/ shed slab #10  
Yes correct for your concrete im refering to the crushed gravel for your base under your slab @12 inches thick.