Cattle handling pen on a budget

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #11  
Sandusky, for one heifer you can probably get away with what tou describe above.

We work a lot of cows every year and we have several rules for it:

#1-No wood. Everything is metal. Everything is stronger this way. We have three sets of working pens and they are all all metal. Even that doesn't prevent cows breaking welds, bending metal, and general mayhem.

#2-Cattle are herded just like water flows. They take the path of least resistance but can always, reliably, find themselves in places you wouldn't expect. In particular I reference your 10' gate on the entry to the squeeze. Will you have a helper to make up you operating the gate as well as herding her in? Cows will do this kind of thing.

#3-A cow can do anything at anytime for any reason. They may be kickers who take out a knee or they may be docile under pressure. Ya never know and it can vary from the time you work them.

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget
Thanks for all the great advice... I'm taking it all into consideration and have decided to go with concrete set pipe on 8' centers. My neighbor said he'd give me some welding lessons to get me started. I can get used 2 3/8 inch pipe for .99 foot with a 2 inch top rail for .89 per foot. I've always wanted to learn to weld and I'm sure the skill will come in real handy for future projects. I can wire tie the cattle panels to the posts until it gets a bit cooler to weld. I'm saving my nickels for a used head gate or squeeze chute. I plan to have up to 6 or 8 head at some point.

Pretty much settled on foreman etex's suggesion regarding pen design. Got 26 eight foot 2-3/8" steel poles set in 2-1/2' concrete laid out 32' x 48' .... 2 - 12' gates(one for the inside 190 degree sweep). I have 2 10' poles on the west side to expand later with a gate if necessary. Now comes the hard part, headgate, escape gate and overall finishing of the chute area. I'll be catching up on the welding topics now. I'd love to finish it off with lag bolts and 2x6s but I need to learn to weld anyway. Penpoles.jpg

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #14  
Pretty much settled on foreman etex's suggesion regarding pen design. Got 26 eight foot 2-3/8" steel poles set in 2-1/2' concrete laid out 32' x 48' .... 2 - 12' gates(one for the inside 190 degree sweep). I have 2 10' poles on the west side to expand later with a gate if necessary. Now comes the hard part, headgate, escape gate and overall finishing of the chute area. I'll be catching up on the welding topics now. I'd love to finish it off with lag bolts and 2x6s but I need to learn to weld anyway.View attachment 272534

We picked up some 4in.channel for .86ft,saddled it out to channel, three high and welded the cattle panel to the 4in.side of channel. Another option is to use 1/2 in.sucker rod spaced around a foot apart all the way up. Ours is set up around a foot off the ground,(1st)channel,(2nd)2.5ft to center another channel,(3rd)another 2.5ft center channel, skip a foot top rail 2-3/8 pipe,so total height around 7ft.
Everyone is going to say weld with a 7018,just learning go p5+/6011 or you will stay pissed off sticking your rod:laughing: Auto hood and c-clamps if you dont have a helper...Tac all up then go back and weld out,looks/feels like getting more progress that way:D

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #15  
I will try and snap a few pictures of mine this evening and post them up for ya, +1 on the advice on building it bomb proof, cattle will tear up most anything you think is strong enough to hold. I purchased a Priefert manual head gate and bolted it through 8" treated poles that were 4 feet in the ground, the first time I ran my cows through it my 1600 lb Bull was wearing the big blue head gate as a necklace and just standing there looking at me with that look like " how you gonna get this thing off of me". He sheared 4 bolts that that were 1/2 inch diameter and went through the post with nuts on the back, these animals will surprise you with their strength. It looks like you have a good start on your pen, can't wait to see more.

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #16  
I will try and snap a few pictures of mine this evening and post them up for ya, +1 on the advice on building it bomb proof, cattle will tear up most anything you think is strong enough to hold. I purchased a Priefert manual head gate and bolted it through 8" treated poles that were 4 feet in the ground, the first time I ran my cows through it my 1600 lb Bull was wearing the big blue head gate as a necklace and just standing there looking at me with that look like " how you gonna get this thing off of me". He sheared 4 bolts that that were 1/2 inch diameter and went through the post with nuts on the back, these animals will surprise you with their strength. It looks like you have a good start on your pen, can't wait to see more.

Great story:thumbsup: But question is how did you get the neckless off:laughing: black bull.JPG

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #17  
A five gallon bucket of sweet feed held his attention long enough for me to open the gate and let it fall off of his neck.

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #19  
So I've made steady progress on the pen and ended up with the suggested divided design. See my post in the welding section about finishing up the headgate chute. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/253126-newbie-welding-questions-2.html#post2962488

my chop saw is doing a pretty good job with the saddle cuts, I'll post real pics this weekend.

My suggestion is can you put the head gate back further,what if you miss are you gonna have to try and get them pened up again? See the second pen your talking about has gate in it that opens into shoot that way if missed it will only be able to run into the second pen and not out into pasture,then just have to run them back into first pen,only reason cows go out end of shoot is if loading into trailer. We can run the ones already worked back around and force the ones that havent been up so they are not trying to turn around or back up,when done we let them set in pen alittle while to keep an eye on them,we have had a few that it has stress out pretty good and its nice to have them right there if need to doctor them. Just my two cent ideas

/ Cattle handling pen on a budget #20  
Hereis a design I used a few weekends ago. Helped an old family friend work cattle and first time I had seen this setup. Its good for a smaller operation. Just throwing it out there

cattle pens.PNG