Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes)

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I recently purchased 2 older Gransfors Bruks double bit axes off ebay. One does not have a handle and the other has one but it is worn and loose. I ordered 2 new GB hickory axe handles but when they arrived I found that the handles they make will not fit older heads (older heads have longer eye). Now I need a good source for American Hickory (good straight, tight grain) double bit handles. I have done some research and found that older handles were often thinner than what is seen today. The handle that came with my head is very thin by todays standards. These old timers probably knew something we dont today. I was thinking about trying to re-handle my heads with octagonal pattern handles. What are your thoughts and what is a good source for handles now days?

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #2  
You can make one faster than you can find one. Rough it out on a bandsaw and use a drawknife or belt sander to get it to shape. You will be surprised how quick you can make one. I like the thinner handles and I like the octagonal flats on a handle. Not many people really use an axe anymore and that is one reason the factory handles are so clunky.

I made the belt axe and handle in the picture below. The handle is curly maple. The handle is pretty thin.

Attachments

• 031112125540.jpg
    031112125540.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
   / Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #3  
You can make one faster than you can find one. Rough it out on a bandsaw and use a drawknife or belt sander to get it to shape. You will be surprised how quick you can make one. I like the thinner handles and I like the octagonal flats on a handle. Not many people really use an axe anymore and that is one reason the factory handles are so clunky.

I made the axe and handle in the picture below. The handle is curly maple. The handle is thin.

Very nice, I use to make pistol/revolver grips.

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #4  

I made the belt axe and handle in the picture below. The handle is curly maple. The handle is pretty thin.

No need to remind me to never to cheat at cards in your parlor!
Do you always keep an axe under your chair?
Nice looking handle.
Rehandling an axe or adze is a good way to spend a rainy day in the shop.

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #5  
I love my bruks axes. I have a few and they are just wonderful. I bought a few axes and adz and a peevey off ebay no handles. I took my ax to the local hardware store they had a pretty much direct fit. Now finding the other handles was a bear. I used these guys. Striking tool hickory wood replacement handles; axe handle, hammer handle I sent them the dimensions and the handles were close. A bit with a sander and they were dead on. I put chalk in the handle and then when the handle would not fit I would pull it out and sand the chalk down.

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #6  
Or under a shade tree with some broken window glass shards and some iced down drinks of choice.

Harry K

/ Need advice from you "axe" aficionados (re-handling 2 bouble bit axes) #7  
I love my bruks axes. I have a few and they are just wonderful. I bought a few axes and adz and a peevey off ebay no handles. I took my ax to the local hardware store they had a pretty much direct fit. Now finding the other handles was a bear. I used these guys. Striking tool hickory wood replacement handles; axe handle, hammer handle I sent them the dimensions and the handles were close. A bit with a sander and they were dead on. I put chalk in the handle and then when the handle would not fit I would pull it out and sand the chalk down.

I drive the handle in firmly, remove it and then shave the marks down with glass shards.

Harry K