Electric Heater Install

/ Electric Heater Install #1  

B7510HSD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Ok so I'm going to install 2 120V electric heaters for my brother I read they require a 20 amp circuit....He has been told you can put up to 3 heaters on 1 20 amp breaker???? I say each should have it's oqn breaker?? Any hepl would be appreciated!!!!

/ Electric Heater Install #2  
Take the wattage of the heater "say 1200 watt" and devide by the voltage.. 120volt this gives you 10 amps.. A little too much for 2 heaters on one breaker..

/ Electric Heater Install
Take the wattage of the heater "say 1200 watt" and devide by the voltage.. 120volt this gives you 10 amps.. A little too much for 2 heaters on one breaker..
Thanks i'll ask him what the wattage is! :thumbsup:

/ Electric Heater Install #4  
And what if the voltage isn't always 120V? Do the math and see what happens to amps when volts drop for a given wattage. If the device says it needs a dedicated 20A breaker, all you're doing by NOT following their directions is giving the insurance company the opportunity to say," Nope, we're not paying for that fire." Or worse yet, getting someone hurt ain't worth saving a few bucks. Electricity is very unforgiving. Good luck!

I am the modern man...my smart phone smells of diesel & grease.

/ Electric Heater Install #5  
wyeguy said:
And what if the voltage isn't always 120V? Do the math and see what happens to amps when volts drop for a given wattage. If the device says it needs a dedicated 20A breaker, all you're doing by NOT following their directions is giving the insurance company the opportunity to say," Nope, we're not paying for that fire." Or worse yet, getting someone hurt ain't worth saving a few bucks. Electricity is very unforgiving. Good luck!

I am the modern man...my smart phone smells of diesel & grease.
I'm not certain the mfg said the heater required a dedicated circuit. I don't see that statement in the OP's post. But to be safe, I would use 110V in the calc instead of 120V. Amps drawn = x Watts/110V.
As long as the total amps drawn at one time do not exceed 20A on the 20A circuit, he should be fine. Make sure the 20A circuit uses no smaller than 12 guage copper wire and has a 20A breaker of course.

Thanks guys I already have the wire strung so we are good there I always use 12/2 with ground I just couldn't figure out where his buddt old him he could put up to 3 heaters on the same circuit I always put them on seperate circuits like I will this time!!

/ Electric Heater Install #7  
not to be a stick in the mud... but the NEC requires that heaters be considered continuous loads. Therefore a 20 amp breaker ACTUALLY can only supply 16 amps ( thats 80% of the 20 amp load).

not to be a stick in the mud... but the NEC requires that heaters be considered continuous loads. Therefore a 20 amp breaker ACTUALLY can only supply 16 amps ( thats 80% of the 20 amp load).
Thanks I'll have to check what the wattage was..

Ok he says the heater he bought is a 1000 watt so I would say a 20 amp circuit should be fine...

/ Electric Heater Install #10  
i would say he can run 2 of those one a 20 amp circuit (dedicated) without any issues. Nothing else on that circuit.