Instant Pond

/ Instant Pond #11  
bindian said:
Radrock,
Yes, it is nice to work with. I could do this full time. I have iron ore near my road ditch. Now I know it goes down to the pond where runoff from the road ditch washed the top soil away. Look at that photo again. It had water falling about 18 inches! I might need to use that to fix the top of the dam!
Are you sitting on rock?
hugs, Brandi

Yeah. I'm right on top of a hill and I'm lucky to grow grass we have a lot of missouri red clay but it usually has rock in it too. I'd love to play in that kind of dirt. That was a quick pond for sure. How deep is it going to be?

/ Instant Pond
I sure must be nice to get that much rain. Fast rain= good pond filler but not so good for ground saturation. We got about an inch or so this afternoon in about an hour which is more than we have had in the last 4 months combined.
Gary,
Yes, it is and No it isn't. But I understand where you are coming from. It is a good thing for the first pond as it was about 18 inches down. Now it is about 6 inches from overflow. No, it is bad as the new pond is full with no overflow measures installed. Hopefully tomorrow the sun will come out enough to put the overflow culvert in. Gonna use Sodium Bentonite Clay around the culvert as an anti seep collar. Also, the dam was not packed down, so there is a lot of repairs needed there.
My son just came home and asked, jokenly, if my tractor was at the bottom of the pond.:stirthepot:
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond
Yeah. I'm right on top of a hill and I'm lucky to grow grass we have a lot of missouri red clay but it usually has rock in it too. I'd love to play in that kind of dirt. That was a quick pond for sure. How deep is it going to be?

Radrock,
It is about 5-6 feet right around the island. Really didn't get a chance to measure anything, other than pacing off the core trench length before I dug that.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #14  
bindian said:
Radrock,
It is about 5-6 feet right around the island. Really didn't get a chance to measure anything, other than pacing off the core trench length before I dug that.
hugs, Brandi

Thats not bad for such a short time. I bet that ground is soft when wet huh?

/ Instant Pond #16  
Brandi, not sure if you wanted that much rain that fast, but It's nice to have this summer for sure:thumbsup: Where you "officially" through digging, except for packing the dam? We had rain all around for a week ,but not a drop. Cant wait to see it when your done with the island part of it too!!

/ Instant Pond
Brandi, not sure if you wanted that much rain that fast, but It's nice to have this summer for sure:thumbsup: Where you "officially" through digging, except for packing the dam? We had rain all around for a week ,but not a drop. Cant wait to see it when your done with the island part of it too!!
Dennis,
No, I was not though digging. The island needed more dirt and I only had the tractor up on top once, to slope the dirt. It is not packed at all and time will tell how that goes. The shallow end still has a layer of loamy clay on top that I wanted to remove for dam backside fill. If I don't pump the water out and let it dry...........I'll have to go dig another source of clay to finish and repair the dam and banks that eroded today.
As to rainfall. I think we are ahead for this year. But add in last year's total and we are still behind the average. Bad thing about it is there is no overflow protection right now. More rain could wash out the dam.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #18  
Wow Brandi! You really have been busy. Too bad you got rain dumped on you so quickly, but at least you had most of the work done. I'm sure jealous of your rain. Last night it rained here. We had a heavy downpour for about 7 seconds, then it stopped instantly like someone shut off the spigot.:( Like the American League in the All-Star Game, I've been shutout for rain lately.

For your pond, I'd expect an 18" culvert to be plenty, but certainly a 24" will do. The problem with the 24" is price. They are almost twice the price of an 18" culvert here. I think I paid $420 for one 20' section of 24" culvert pipe (PVC). Metal is even higher.

/ Instant Pond #19  
nice work. And lucky for you about the timeing of rain. If you can keep this going with photos of the developing island hopefully with ducks

/ Instant Pond
Wow Brandi! You really have been busy. Too bad you got rain dumped on you so quickly, but at least you had most of the work done. I'm sure jealous of your rain. Last night it rained here. We had a heavy downpour for about 7 seconds, then it stopped instantly like someone shut off the spigot.:( Like the American League in the All-Star Game, I've been shutout for rain lately.

For your pond, I'd expect an 18" culvert to be plenty, but certainly a 24" will do. The problem with the 24" is price. They are almost twice the price of an 18" culvert here. I think I paid $420 for one 20' section of 24" culvert pipe (PVC). Metal is even higher.

Jim,
Help:begging:.........it's been raining:umbrella: all morning.:shocked: The last hour I was out on the BRB digging up clay spoils I put in the gully from the first pond. The BRB doesn't mine the rain, but my pasture sure turned into a pig's sti. I added the clay and some topsoil to the end of the dam in a "J" shape to let water overflow around the end of the dam. The water is about a foot higher than where I staked the overflow pipe to be, last night. I also added some topsoil on the dam in a low spot to add mass. The island has about 6 inches left above the water. Going to get an overflow culvert after I put more dirt........and clay if I can get to it, on the end of dam. Looking at weather radar makes me sick right now.:worried:

When you come for all my excess water, bring two extra buckets and a :boat:!
hugs, Brandi:cowgirl::us-texas: