Instant Pond

/ Instant Pond
Something about playing the dirt sure is fun
Mike,
Yes it is. How do you like that knuckle boom Komatsu? Would you buy one again, if given the chance?
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #372  
Just about all Komatsu excavators have weak swing torque, average strength everywhere else. The short radius old ones are very hard to work on. Just can't reach many components.
Other than the computer and proximity sensors is like really advanced for a 20 year machine, but now snafu and disconnected, these are very reliable well built machines. (Lucky, as they stink taking them apart.)
Excavators sure are diggers.

/ Instant Pond
Just about all Komatsu excavators have weak swing torque, average strength everywhere else. The short radius old ones are very hard to work on. Just can't reach many components.
Other than the computer and proximity sensors is like really advanced for a 20 year machine, but now snafu and disconnected, these are very reliable well built machines. (Lucky, as they stink taking them apart.)
Excavators sure are diggers.
So are you saying to steer clear of them when buying another excavator?
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #374  
So are you saying to steer clear of them when buying another excavator?
hugs, Brandi

I've been lucky with the Zero Tail swing because other than struggling to move hydraulic lines, I have not been caught where I have need to have the counter weight removed to do service work, but that time is coming eventually after owning it near 10 years. I also have a funky diode in the alternator and the belt needs to be replaced, and I have no idea how the access it.

It has been a good machine, other than I had to repair a $4000 main valve. I was lucky to polish out the spool and just change the seals.

The Zero tail is great in the woods and tight places, just servicing is very tight. Older machines are like that. It is well built study machine like a CAT. CAT's don't spec the highest in class either but like Komatsu, they are smooth to operate. Like I said, my Komatsu could use more swing torque for side grading and has a cramped cab. I'ts a nice quality machine, quiet motor, I would not fear it, but If you could find a simple conventional machine, it may be the safer bet.
I regret not buying it sooner, and might have been better with a 12-14 ton machine. As my major digging is done, it is plenty for what I do, and I really should find more work for it.

/ Instant Pond
I've been lucky with the Zero Tail swing because other than struggling to move hydraulic lines, I have not been caught where I have need to have the counter weight removed to do service work, but that time is coming eventually after owning it near 10 years. I also have a funky diode in the alternator and the belt needs to be replaced, and I have no idea how the access it.

It has been a good machine, other than I had to repair a $4000 main valve. I was lucky to polish out the spool and just change the seals.

The Zero tail is great in the woods and tight places, just servicing is very tight. Older machines are like that. It is well built study machine like a CAT. CAT's don't spec the highest in class either but like Komatsu, they are smooth to operate. Like I said, my Komatsu could use more swing torque for side grading and has a cramped cab. I'ts a nice quality machine, quiet motor, I would not fear it, but If you could find a simple conventional machine, it may be the safer bet.
I regret not buying it sooner, and might have been better with a 12-14 ton machine. As my major digging is done, it is plenty for what I do, and I really should find more work for it.
I understand the stuggles of tight space while working on it. I love my CAT (actually a rebadged Mitsubishi MS 070) in that it is a conventional tail swing, with all kinds of room. I can climb into the battery/valve compartment if needed. But all my rear is bolted at every panel. Even the frame is bolted. So I can open it all up to daylight. Well, except for the swing motor and gearbox. But I have scraped the paint in back, a time or two.

How do you like the knuckle boom instead of a swing boom?

Did you take the valve to a shop, or was that price for labor removing and replacing it? That seems really high to polish and reseal. Or is $4000 the price of a new valve?

Uh.....FYI............your not suppose to use the swing to side grade.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #376  
$4000 the price of a new valve? Yes, or was it more, don't remember,. Drives are about $10k! I like to play, not pay! I fixed it myself. Kissed the spool with a pieces of scotchbrite, and new seals. These are precision pieces, all hand lapped at factory, 0.0001" tolerances, so you can't buy spare parts, except seals, springs etc. just a new valve. Whew.

"Uh.....FYI............your not suppose to use the swing to side grade." Aw come on, if that's the only thing I shouldn't be doing, then.......

/ Instant Pond
$4000 the price of a new valve? Yes, or was it more, don't remember,. Drives are about $10k! I like to play, not pay! I fixed it myself. Kissed the spool with a pieces of scotchbrite, and new seals. These are precision pieces, all hand lapped at factory, 0.0001" tolerances, so you can't buy spare parts, except seals, springs etc. just a new valve. Whew.

"Uh.....FYI............your not suppose to use the swing to side grade." Aw come on, if that's the only thing I shouldn't be doing, then.......
I thought you had a $4,000 repair job of polishing and resealing.:shocked:

I understand the clearances.:) I work on all my equipment. Makes my night job of working on airliners a lot more appreciated!;)

I really am lucky as I have a full service local hyd. shop that will rebuild valves, motors, and cylinders, if needed.:thumbsup: There are places online that can rebuild final drives.

.....................and don't bang the bucket down:laughing::laughing: like I did the other day.:eek: That made me mad at myself!:mad:
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #378  
78.JPG

I couldn't get this to attach to our emails, but wanted you to see a picture of what I was describing.

/ Instant Pond
Eddie,
That's what I imagined. Is that a Honda pump on the Honda engine? 3 inch?
hugs, Brandi

]

/ Instant Pond #380  
Just the engine is Honda. I got it from Northern Tool, but don't remember the brand right now. I'll look when I get home