Instant Pond

/ Instant Pond
I purchased an 18 inch culvert today and spotted it close to were I will plant it. Got to wait a few days for the water level to go down and the dam to dry out. As of now, any tires on the dam leave very deep ruts. So I wait.
The last photo show the island crumbling at this high water level. I will definitely need to pump out the pond, if nothing else to finish the island.
hugs, Brandi
7-11-12 Overflow Culvert Home.jpg7-11-12 Big RED Beast eyeballing culvert location.jpg7-11-12 Big RED Beast spotting overflow culvert.jpg7-11-12 Island shows crumbling dirt.jpg

/ Instant Pond
Wow Brandi! You really have been busy. Too bad you got rain dumped on you so quickly, but at least you had most of the work done. I'm sure jealous of your rain. Last night it rained here. We had a heavy downpour for about 7 seconds, then it stopped instantly like someone shut off the spigot.:( Like the American League in the All-Star Game, I've been shutout for rain lately.

For your pond, I'd expect an 18" culvert to be plenty, but certainly a 24" will do. The problem with the 24" is price. They are almost twice the price of an 18" culvert here. I think I paid $420 for one 20' section of 24" culvert pipe (PVC). Metal is even higher.

Jim,
The 24 inch culvert was between $320 and 349. I bought an 18 inch one for $199.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #33  
Looks good. The spillway you cut was exactly what the state of Arkansas requires rather than overflow pipe. We have an overflow pipe in our large pond and also an upper end spillway to take of the excess when the overflow pipe cant handle it all.
With the luck of Texas getting all that rain, it may take a while for you to get back in to add to the island. Good Luck. If you could somehow divert your portion of the excess rain up my way, we can sure use it. The Governor is wanting the entire state declared a disaster area due to drought.

/ Instant Pond
Looks good. The spillway you cut was exactly what the state of Arkansas requires rather than overflow pipe. We have an overflow pipe in our large pond and also an upper end spillway to take of the excess when the overflow pipe cant handle it all.
With the luck of Texas getting all that rain, it may take a while for you to get back in to add to the island. Good Luck. If you could somehow divert your portion of the excess rain up my way, we can sure use it. The Governor is wanting the entire state declared a disaster area due to drought.

I really need to drain down the pond to at least finish the dam. It is eroded more with each new rain. 1.5 inch thunderstorm this morning. The top layers never were compacted. That makes 5 inches of rain since Tuesday afternoon.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #35  
Wow it must be tough to have that wet ground. We are dry as heck and back into 100 degree temps again today. I haven't even had my tractor out for two weeks. Wish I could play in the dirt.

/ Instant Pond
Wow it must be tough to have that wet ground. We are dry as heck and back into 100 degree temps again today. I haven't even had my tractor out for two weeks. Wish I could play in the dirt.
Now is a bad time for tractor, especially dozers, here. Drive over the same soft spot more than a couple of time and all of a sudden..........your stuck. No warning.

Uh..............I don't understand.:confused: 100 degrees, dry as heck, in Missouri so not much humidity:drool:.........what is stopping you from playing in the dirt?:muttering:
I play on the tractor (under a canopy) all day (13 hours on Monday) in 100 degrees and 90% humidity, but I get off and exert some muscles and I am toast...............but no playing in the dirt?????????????
hugs, Brandi:cowgirl::us-texas:

/ Instant Pond #37  
Uh..............I don't understand.:confused: 100 degrees, dry as heck, in Missouri so not much humidity:drool:.........what is stopping you from playing in the dirt?:muttering:
I play on the tractor (under a canopy) all day (13 hours on Monday) in 100 degrees and 90% humidity, but I get off and exert some muscles and I am toast...............but no playing in the dirt?????????????
hugs, Brandi:cowgirl::us-texas:

Yeah I would to with that good dirt. The dirt here is like concrete right now. I don't have any pond building to do. I mostly mow with mine and use the FEL for lots of other little project. I only have three acres. most in grass on a hillside. I play in the dirt all day anyway. I operate a bulldozer all day long or a motor grader at times. I made a 6 foot fill about 150' X 150' in the last two days as well ad made a lot of dirt for a track hoe. It's a lot of fun too. Track hoe loaded out about 210 dump trucks today. I do like to play on my tractor at home though. I sometimes wish I had a Backhoe for mine. But I can borrow one from work if I really really need one.

/ Instant Pond
Anybody got any good ideas on pumps? Water pump or Trash pump? 2 or 3 inch? Best place to buy?
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond
Yeah I would to with that good dirt. The dirt here is like concrete right now. I don't have any pond building to do. I mostly mow with mine and use the FEL for lots of other little project. I only have three acres. most in grass on a hillside. I play in the dirt all day anyway. I operate a bulldozer all day long or a motor grader at times. I made a 6 foot fill about 150' X 150' in the last two days as well ad made a lot of dirt for a track hoe. It's a lot of fun too. Track hoe loaded out about 210 dump trucks today. I do like to play on my tractor at home though. I sometimes wish I had a Backhoe for mine. But I can borrow one from work if I really really need one.

Oh Wow. You do it all day, but someone else's project. I guess the fun goes out of it after loading a few hundred dump trucks. I love aviation, but get tired of it.
hugs, Brandi

/ Instant Pond #40  
Rural King or Tractor supply will have 2" pumps with a Briggs motor for around $250, hoses will be extra. 3-4" will cost a lot more. If you were closer I would loan my 2" pump to you. It will probably take a day to pump it down with a 2" pump. Nice job on the pond, you have a good eye. I took almost three summers to dig my pond. I would work on it in my spare time inbetween repairing dozers, tractors and the pan. I ran into a lot of hardpan which I had to chip out piece by piece. Mine turned out about 4 acres in size and we have really enjoyed it. Good Luck! Wish we had some of your rain.