How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire

/ How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #1  

monteu

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010
I am running 6-2 wire from my breaker panel over to where I have a phase converter. The phase converter has the wire sticking out of it. So somehow I need to join or connect these wires. Seems to big for wire nuts? Is there some kind of junction box I should buy and what kind? Thanks

/ How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #2  
Usually something like the phase converter will have a junction box built into it for making the connections. Or screw terminals inside the panel/box.

Something like a 4" sq junction box, with the appropriate knockouts/cable clamps mounted on the case of the converter (check to make sure you don't screw into something important first...) will do fine. There are a few kinds of split bolt or screw connectors you can find and even HD will have enough for these size wires. Find the old guy in the electrical section who actually knows something and he should be able to point you right to them.

/ How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #3  
Get yourself some big blue, or grey wirenuts they are big enough to handle #6 wire, and easier to use than split bolts or crimp sleeves. Look on the package and it will tell you what size and how many wires the nut is listed to be used with. Your wire should be hooked to no bigger than a 60 amp breaker, which is well within the capability of a properly sized wirenut.

/ How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #4  
You will have incoming and outgoing wires so I would do something like this,,, and yes big blue wirenuts will work,,

Attachments

• phase.png
    phase.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 213
   / How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #5  
Go to the supply house and ask for some Kearneys for #6 wire. Tape that with three wraps of self fusing tape then three wraps of electrical tape.

/ How Do I Connect 6-2 Wire #6  
Thanks for the picture