Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
I'm considering redoing my driveway with stamped concrete so that I don't have to mess with the weeds that grow up through pavers. My questions are: (1) can stamped concrete be maintained relatively crack free and if so what goes into the base and concrete to make it that way, (2) do interlocking pavers also restrict weed growth in the spaces between the pavers, and (3) what are the cost per sq ft for stamped concrete and interlocking pavers if done by a professional? Any pros and cons for either? My reference point is that I did our driveway with bricks over 21 yrs ago has sunken in spots and we fight weeds all the time...no I don't do herbicide. Thanks for feedback and suggestions.......Gary

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #2  
   / Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #3  
If you don't do chemical weed spray, I think that the stamped crete is your only option. They have some really nice patterns and colors but I believe that it does not come cheap! As for crack free, it's all in the drainage and stability/compaction of the sub grade, along with a deep enough "pour" to handle your heaviest expected load. (Garbage truck, fuel oil tk. etc.)

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers
Forgeblast - Thank you for the links. Took me to a few interlocking paver companies that had helpful info and links to regional sellers. Gives me a chance to visit a couple of places to see what paver materials look like from a few firms.

Rustyiron - Thanks for the reminder on sub-base drainage and quality-thickness-strength of concrete. Not many stamped concrete guys in my area but will hunt down a few to get an idea of the product and installation process. I am a bit familiar with the product from my California days where my BIL's family ran a fairly large and well established stamped concrete company. Different issues out here in the east.

Thank you for the feedback/suggestions and links........Gary

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #5  
Having both(a stamped driveway and a pavered patio area) The pour/stamped method IF and this a big if done correctly will be your best bet. remember both require a good base done properly. If it isn't both will have weeds. As someone said with the poured/stamped plan for heavies load and then add to that on the edges(make them a bit thicker and add rebar). I have driven a 10,000lb Ford Excursion with a trailer behind it with a Komatsu D20 on it and no problems. The patio area has a double layer of the cloth to stop weeds under it and so far the only thing growing on it is the stuff the wife put there.

As to finding a stamping company go to some concrete suppliers in your area(the place where the people who spread the concrete get there equipment) they should be able to get you some contact info because that is where in all probablity is where they got their stamps, concret colorants and release agents.

My BIL and his family are also in the business so the wife and I got some good advice. One thing the BIL has stressed to me is NO WIRE MESH IN THE CONCRETE ONLY REBAR. He is a bit oppionated about these things. H

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #6  
I am a HUGE fan of interlock pavers. They can be installed yourself faily easy. You can google up the layout depths, base materials, and borders. Just fill in with washed masonry sand and it takes longer for the weeds to find something to grow in. Properly done, pavers will last longer than stamped concrete. They are using pavers to replace all the concrete at the ports and harbors, too. The main benefit is that they provide drainage. I can dump a 5 gallon bucket on my sloped patio and the water is gone before it moves 5 feet. If the pavers are around your house or barn foundation, your foundation will benefit from the moisture allowed to regularly seep there from the dripline. Finally, what if you have a pipe to repair under the concrete? Pavers are easily redone.

Cheers. My $.02 worth

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #7  
Ditto on the base prep being your #1 concern. A driveway is going to require at least a foot of good DOT road base, some call it crusher-run, packed hard, hard. It's the base layer that spreads the weight out. I never really like pavers, so maybe I'm biased. I guess they just seem a bit manufactured for my taste. They do make a polymeric joint fill which is supposed to stay pliable but not allow weed growth, even in the joints - and the joints will grow weeds even if you put landscape fabric underneath.

Stamped concrete will require controlled crack lines if you have any sizable length at all, but is probably your best bet.

You could check out pavingexpert.com for the definitive how to on all things flat and walked on. I consult this encyclopedia often and enthusiastically with wonderful results. I just did a stone patio. Take a look ....

ForumRunner_20120723_210615.jpg

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers
Thanks for the additional feedback. One of the reasons I was thinking stamped concrete for my driveway(40 ft length) was to provide a solid path for my downspouts to release water and get it away from the foundation walls and into the street. Also I was thinking the surface would be flatter for snow shoveling in winter when that occasional storm rolls through. Thanks jomar215 for the paving expert suggestion. ...Cheers, Gary

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #9  
My parents had their patio done with pavers and the installer put a "grout" between the blocks that stop all weeds. I questioned my dad and he told me that HD sells it. I was impressed and will use it in my next project.

/ Stamped Concrete vs Interlocking Pavers #10  
I'm considering redoing my driveway with stamped concrete so that I don't have to mess with the weeds that grow up through pavers. My questions are: (1) can stamped concrete be maintained relatively crack free and if so what goes into the base and concrete to make it that way, (2) do interlocking pavers also restrict weed growth in the spaces between the pavers, and (3) what are the cost per sq ft for stamped concrete and interlocking pavers if done by a professional? Any pros and cons for either? My reference point is that I did our driveway with bricks over 21 yrs ago has sunken in spots and we fight weeds all the time...no I don't do herbicide. Thanks for feedback and suggestions.......Gary

There are two kinds of concrete out there, the kind that is cracked... and the kind that is going to crack. That's it...