How do I cut a road?

/ How do I cut a road? #1  

mdbarb

Gold Member
Tractor
B21
I have a hill that is way too steep to be sideways. How do I cut a 6' wide path somewhat parallel to the contours. Do I point the bachoe uphill, cut three feet uphill and drag it down to create three feet of fill, then while staying basically pointing up and downhill, drive down alittle so I can move over, drive up to the future road again and repeat.
Then many hours later when this is all done, drive on the somewhat level road to level (but the new fill is probably very soft which would allow my downhill side to sink. not a good thing)Is there a better technique?

/ How do I cut a road? #3  
mdbarb,
Are you planing just for skid road or future plans.

Cutting a road on a side hill can be tricky.
I would map out the road well,than cut little more than 6 feet,also on the steep side on the bank also remove any trees because the wind and rain could loosen them.
Than there drainage and you got to have some sort of a ditch line or your road will wash out.

If the dirt that you have is that soft you may want to consider 8 foot road when all is said and done.

A small dozer in a short time will do a better job and less headaches for you.

Just be extra careful if you should try putting in the road with a FEL tractor on a steep grade...lot of operator's have close calls. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ How do I cut a road?
It would just be an access road/shortcut for the tractor and footpath from the garage at the top to the barn at the bottom. Since I own a FEL and not in a hurry its the tool I'll use. drainage is something I hadn't considered (yet)

/ How do I cut a road? #5  
Mdbarb,

Well you hit on one of my main projects. I have a friend that says I bought a view and they threw in 14 vertical acers./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif This is our weekend home and where, like yours, my B21 lives. I am always cutting new tractor/walking trails where I can. Am I an expert, no way. Have I had any luck making trails, sure have. What I have done is pretty much what you are thinking. I cut down the high side, with the backhoe, and add to the low side. As Thomas said, I am cutting more width than I need 1)to end up with as much solid road as possible, and 2) to allow for the loss you will get in the filled area. Now everyones soil differs, but I cut 7' to 8' to end up with 5' or 6' a year from now. I have a lot of rock and try to plant them on the low side to hold the fill. Most of the time I rough things out with the backhoe, back blade with the loader and later come back and groom with the box blade.
After I have a basic trail I will watch how the water wants to run and cut in swales as needed to keep things from washing out. I am sure this isn't the perfect way to go, but it has worked so far.

Now for the big warning. Go slow!! I have put myself in some places where the "pucker factor" was more than I wanted. Dig a little, get turned around so you can grade out a level base for the backhoe and then dig a few more feet and repeat the process. I remind myself that little tractors need to take little bites.

Another thought, do you have your rear tires filled for extra weight? This helped my B21 feel much safer working the backhoe on hills. (Sure wish I had your 4-1 bucket)

MarkV

/ How do I cut a road? #7  
mdbarb,

This has worked for me:

From the downhill side of the road, dig a level spot on the road long enough so the tractor sits on level ground (left to right)when it is on the road. Now you can dig forward with the tractor level on the road using the FEL.

/ How do I cut a road?
Twinkle Toes
But then it seems I would have a dilema dumping the spoils, assuming I want to keep the path narrow....?

/ How do I cut a road? #9  
mdbarb,

You got it right. I was afraid you wouldn't understand my post./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I dumped in several large piles, then came back and moved it all to a low spot in another area. Do you have any big holes you don't like?

Good luck whatever you do. Your first post on driving on the any new fill shows you understand what your up against.

/ How do I cut a road? #10  
I have a very long driveway on a side hill, cut just like twinkle toes said, makes for a good solid base. Just one thought, after repairing my driveway many times, sometimes myself sometimes by a professional I came up with an idea that works extremly well. I slanted the entire driveway towards the hill. No crowns. This keeps all the water from crossing over the driveway witch can have disasterous effects. It also makes it extremly easy to york rake without the crown. I put round rocks on the side where the water goes to keep it slow. Best thing I ever did.