Barn under way (not under roof!)

/ Barn under way (not under roof!) #1  

Davinator

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota #M6040 w/Grand Cab
Finally began work on a project that I have been contemplating and planning for almost a year now. With any luck I will have it under roof in a few weeks and all complete before the snow flies.

image-2910044681.jpg

/ Barn under way (not under roof!) #3  
Looking good!.........Brian

/ Barn under way (not under roof!)
Very astute observation there BB! You should have seen it before I drug the box blade over it for 4 hours.

/ Barn under way (not under roof!) #5  
Can you tell us any details about your barn. What size it is going to be, doors, windows, how high is the ceiling, etc. Thanks Rick

/ Barn under way (not under roof!) #6  
Best wishes in regards to your endeavor. Looking forward to future developments and progress.

Barn will be 24' deep x 40' wide with a minimum clearance of just under 9'. Total of 12 4x6x16 posts/poles. Three sides will be closed with four, 9'-6" openings along one end. I am kicking around enclosing one of the four "bays" and hanging a sliding door on the outside wall and a man door in the inside wall. Probably a window as well in each of the remaining walls.

/ Barn under way (not under roof!) #8  
Very astute observation there BB! You should have seen it before I drug the box blade over it for 4 hours.

So what is the slope and how you will handle this; erect the barn and then fill up lower side? Why you didn't do it flat from begining? I'm asking you because I have the same dilema about what is the acceptable slope for a barn, or ideal should be perfectly flat?

I did a heck of a lot of reading and research before beginning the project. What I found is that because the poles upon which the barn rest supports the entire weight of the barn, the need for a level foundation, as with traditional "stick wall" construction, does not exist. While I would not want to try to build on a steep hillside, a slight grade differential makes no difference so long as all poles are straight and level. The key thing is to find the highest point (corner) and to then determine all measurements from this point and establish level lines from here.

Depending upon how much change in grade there is, you may need to use longer pole for the lower areas in order to maintain sufficient wall height at all points.

I have decided to use Pre-made trusses for the roof instead of cutting rafters. This will allow for a completely open interior area of the barn and make the construction go a lot quicker, since I am working by myself.

Hope this helps. I am far for an "expert" but like I said, I did a lot of research beforehand.

DSC01148.jpgDSC01149.jpg

Made some pretty good progress this weekend working in the BEAUTIFUL weather we have been enjoying. Another day of work or so should have it ready for trusses and a roof.