Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota #M6040 w/Grand Cab

Default Barn under way (not under roof!)

Finally began work on a project that I have been contemplating and planning for almost a year now. With any luck I will have it under roof in a few weeks and all complete before the snow flies.

-image-2910044681-jpg
    Kubota #M6040 Cab w/Hydro Shuttle Trans, Loaded R-1 Tires, 600# Wheel Weights, #LA-1153 Loader w/3rd Function Valve, Top&Tilt Kit, Land Pride #2584 Box Scraper, #RTR1274 Rotary Tiller, Woods #BB-840 Rotary Cutter

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kubota L3400

Default Re: Barn under way (not under roof!)

looks good so far, i can't wait to start building my new barn/shop. the pic might be at an odd angle but it looks like the ground is not quite level..
    cheers,
    bigballer
    2006 L3400hst (380hrs)
    la463 QA fel, backhoe, toothbar,
    brushhog, boxblade, rake, grapple

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Long 610DT, White Fieldboss 37, Ferguson T-35, Super M, Minneapolis Moline Z

Looking good!.........Brian

Tractor

Very astute observation there BB! You should have seen it before I drug the box blade over it for 4 hours.
    Kubota #M6040 Cab w/Hydro Shuttle Trans, Loaded R-1 Tires, 600# Wheel Weights, #LA-1153 Loader w/3rd Function Valve, Top&Tilt Kit, Land Pride #2584 Box Scraper, #RTR1274 Rotary Tiller, Woods #BB-840 Rotary Cutter

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Can you tell us any details about your barn. What size it is going to be, doors, windows, how high is the ceiling, etc. Thanks Rick

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Best wishes in regards to your endeavor. Looking forward to future developments and progress.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor

Barn will be 24' deep x 40' wide with a minimum clearance of just under 9'. Total of 12 4x6x16 posts/poles. Three sides will be closed with four, 9'-6" openings along one end. I am kicking around enclosing one of the four "bays" and hanging a sliding door on the outside wall and a man door in the inside wall. Probably a window as well in each of the remaining walls.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940HST

Quote Originally Posted by Davinator View Post
    Very astute observation there BB! You should have seen it before I drug the box blade over it for 4 hours.
    So what is the slope and how you will handle this; erect the barn and then fill up lower side? Why you didn't do it flat from begining? I'm asking you because I have the same dilema about what is the acceptable slope for a barn, or ideal should be perfectly flat?

Tractor

I did a heck of a lot of reading and research before beginning the project. What I found is that because the poles upon which the barn rest supports the entire weight of the barn, the need for a level foundation, as with traditional "stick wall" construction, does not exist. While I would not want to try to build on a steep hillside, a slight grade differential makes no difference so long as all poles are straight and level. The key thing is to find the highest point (corner) and to then determine all measurements from this point and establish level lines from here.

Depending upon how much change in grade there is, you may need to use longer pole for the lower areas in order to maintain sufficient wall height at all points.

I have decided to use Pre-made trusses for the roof instead of cutting rafters. This will allow for a completely open interior area of the barn and make the construction go a lot quicker, since I am working by myself.

Hope this helps. I am far for an "expert" but like I said, I did a lot of research beforehand.

Tractor

-dsc01148-jpg-dsc01149-jpg

Made some pretty good progress this weekend working in the BEAUTIFUL weather we have been enjoying. Another day of work or so should have it ready for trusses and a roof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast