Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees.

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #1  

indianaEPH

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
A couple of weeks ago a storm downed 5 big oak trees on my property. The trees are solid and I think they would make good lumber but I'm not sure how to go about assessing the cost to have them sawn up. Ideally I would like to have the logs sawn up to make a log cabin. By my calculation there is easily enough wood for it. One of the trees would make a good veneer log (I think) It is 30in diameter, straight an long

Does anyone know how much it custom saw mill work costs? I would sure hate to make firewood out of these trees

Attachments

• tree down.jpg
    tree down.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 721
  • tree down 2.jpg
    tree down 2.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 417
   / Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #2  
Sorry, can't help with your questions, but be very careful with blown over stumps. They often spring back into their stump pit once the log weight is less than the spring tension in the roots. They can kill. Please excuse me if you know this already.

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #3  
some will cut on shares, (if they want/need read oak)

some will cut on price per board foot of finished material (often for 4 quarter material)

some will cut per hr (often for quarter sawn or beam work)

I highly recomend the http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,7.0.html to talk directly to the guys who do it.

you can also search there listing for a sawyer in your area or post your job on forum

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #4  
A couple of weeks ago a storm downed 5 big oak trees on my property. The trees are solid and I think they would make good lumber but I'm not sure how to go about assessing the cost to have them sawn up. Ideally I would like to have the logs sawn up to make a log cabin. By my calculation there is easily enough wood for it. One of the trees would make a good veneer log (I think) It is 30in diameter, straight an long

Does anyone know how much it custom saw mill work costs? I would sure hate to make firewood out of these trees
I would sell the nicer logs and use the proceeds to buy what you need for a cabin. Red Oak is usually on the higher end of prices. Maybe cut some of the smaller ones for trim for your cabin. Prices vary by sawyer. some do by the hour, some by the board foot. 1" and 2" lumber is usually more costly per B.F. than timbers. I saw $85/hr. and $450/B.F. on one site.

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #5  
I'm guessing that there is a lot of variation in custom rates across regions, depending on competition, etc. You could try posting over at Woodworking Information at WOODWEB.

How are you going to dry the lumber?

I defer to the experts, but I would have reservations about using red oak for cabin logs. The logs would be very heavy and I don't think they would hold up that well to the weather.

I have my doubts about your being able to find a veneer buyer for a single log from a homestead.

Steve

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #6  
I'm not sure how to go about assessing the cost to have them sawn up.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Sawmills". Ask them for an estimate. Keep in mind that after the logs are sawed, they will need time to dry. So also ask what that involves. If not dried properly, the wood will split.

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #7  
How are you going to dry the lumber?

The logs would be very heavy and I don't think they would hold up that well to the weather.
Steve

there are some really good plans for kilns made out of old shipping containers. he could build one, dry his wood and resell it for close to what he had in it.

wouldnt use the red oak for "logs" in the cabin, but i shure would cut it up for flooring and trim!

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees.
Sorry, can't help with your questions, but be very careful with blown over stumps. They often spring back into their stump pit once the log weight is less than the spring tension in the roots. They can kill. Please excuse me if you know this already.

dave: thanks for that information . i,ve been very careful with cutting and Im not taking any chances. already ive had the limbs sringing free

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #9  
I understand the want to get the most out of a resource...especially a furniture grade log...but red oak is some of the easiest (hardwood) splitting wood there is...

/ Storm: What to do with downed Red Oak Trees. #10  
$6-$8 per 100 is common around here at small family/amish mills. Ken Sweet