box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #1  

andyt11

In the near future I'm going to have to spread a considerable amount of top soil on two different properties, mine and my brother in laws. I am in the metal fabrication trade and I'm considering building a "machine" to help with the spreading. The best tow vehicle we have access to is 650cc atv by the way, I have a small Kubota t1760 but I think we will have better luck with the atv to be honest.

What I'm thinking is a box scraper, I could build one for next to nothing like this....

box blade.jpg

and then I'm thinking about attaching a hopper on the top like this.

hopper.jpg

Then have a sliding gate at the bottom of the hopper to release the soil once you've driven to where you want to start. I need help with the angle of the hopper, the size of the opening at the bottom and the height of the actual box blade. It will rely on the top soil sliding down and not getting bound up in the opening. It will also rely on it's own weight to spread the soil not just ride up over it. There's a few ways it will not work. Any input appreciated.

The alternative is rent skid steer but we do like a challenge. Thoughts appreciated.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #2  
How are you going to fill the hopper in the first place?

Why do you need additional soil deposited, as opposed to just smoothing what you already have with the box blade (or filling the box blade to move it around, like everyone else does).

Interesting idea though.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #3  
i think ya getting a little crazy!

open up phone book to "sand" or "gravel" or "dirt" and have them deliver dirt. were i am limit is 15tons at a time.

open the old phone book to "machinery rental" and either rent a skid steer with bucket or a scut or cut (sub compact utility tractor, or compact utility tractor) with FEL (front end loader) with bucket on it, some may deliver, if you have a truck, you might be able to rent trailer at same time as skid steer or tractor. with you having a good amount to do, call places up to a couple hours away. prices can be that much different. the longer you rent the more discount you normally get,

use skid steer or tractor to move pile that is dumped from 15ton or so truck. and just put it in piles and back drag with the bucket to get things most of the way level and how you want shaped. then go back with a box blade if you want to. you might be able to rent a landplane or a box blade when ya rent skidsteer or tractor with fel.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil
How are you going to fill the hopper in the first place?

Couple of guys with shovels.

Why do you need additional soil deposited, as opposed to just smoothing what you already have with the box blade (or filling the box blade to move it around, like everyone else does).
Interesting idea though.

The lawns both need reseeding, lots of dead patches and bald spots fro previous owners neglect.

If I don't come up with a way to spread the soil, we'll end up spreading it all by shovel!

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil
i think ya getting a little crazy!

I did wonder. I could just rent the skid steer, I just havnt operated a machine in about 15 years and I'm a little concerned about wrecking the lawn. I thought this might be an easy way to take a yard at a time to where I want it and then spread it. Might go quite quick if I can get the geometry right. On the other hand I might just build a pile of scrap metal on wheels.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #6  
I thought that agrifab might have something similar but it seems like its two different products you would need, one a box blade the other a hopper. I have the 42'' hopper with the aerator spikes.
After I had the soil spread I just drove around spreading the grass seed.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #7  
I did wonder. I could just rent the skid steer, I just havnt operated a machine in about 15 years and I'm a little concerned about wrecking the lawn. I thought this might be an easy way to take a yard at a time to where I want it and then spread it. Might go quite quick if I can get the geometry right. On the other hand I might just build a pile of scrap metal on wheels.

I don't see an ATV hauling a CY of soil plus the weight of the blade, you and the ATV itself.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #8  
If you're concerned about wrecking the yard with bigger machinery, why not try to rent a "Toro Dingo" which is like a wheel-barrow on steroids. I think they even make an alternate wheeled version.

/ box blade with a hopper on top? spreading top soil #9  
Andy,

Are you trying to "top dress" the entire yard .... or just fill in specific spots which have eroded away ?

How large are the yards in question ?