Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Everyone,

So what I thought was a dirt pile (left from previous owner) next to my pole barn turns out to be about 50 yards of sand mixed with shingles, metal, car wheels, clothing, glass, cans, wire, grass, etc.

Our local landfill charges by the ton and the pile is 70% dirt. I'm against digging a hole and burying it.

I'm wondering if a rock bucket on the skid steer would work to sift the trash out of the sand? Then I could put the trash in the dump trailer and take it to the landfill. The left over dirt would be full of stuff that I wouldn't want to grow things in so perhaps I could dump that somewhere where someone is looking for "clean" fill?

I don't know what else to do. Just wondering if any of you have tried sifting garbage out of dirt like that? I'm concerned that getting the dirt to sift through the rock bucket might be a lost cause. Anyone have other ideas that might work? I really don't want to build a sifter if I don't have to.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #2  
Somewhere there is a thread with a recent post stating that the rock bucket does not work well as a "sifter" unless the dirt or sand is really dry. I've thought about that myself, how hard is it to get the dirt to fall through the cracks.

Just curious, why do you oppose digging a hole and covering it up? That's what every builder I know does, usually in the front yard where they don't expect anyone to dig it up in the future.

Also, are there any hydrocarbons in the mix, oil, gasoline, diesel, or solvents? If so, that can present a real dilemma.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #3  
I would dig a hole 2 feet deeper than the mound of dirt and debris will fill and then cover it with 2 feet of the good dirt you took out of the hole....and be done with it....You don't want to make it harder than it is...

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #4  
around here they are paying pretty decent for scrap metal, it may be worth
your while to sort thru the pile after you sift it out of
the dirt. even our landfill will take metal scrap at no charge
unless it's an appliance with refrigerant.
by sorting you may end up with a lot less trash disposal fee
with what's remaining.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #5  
Hi Everyone,

So what I thought was a dirt pile (left from previous owner) next to my pole barn turns out to be about 50 yards of sand mixed with shingles, metal, car wheels, clothing, glass, cans, wire, grass, etc.

Our local landfill charges by the ton and the pile is 70% dirt. I'm against digging a hole and burying it.

I'm wondering if a rock bucket on the skid steer would work to sift the trash out of the sand? Then I could put the trash in the dump trailer and take it to the landfill. The left over dirt would be full of stuff that I wouldn't want to grow things in so perhaps I could dump that somewhere where someone is looking for "clean" fill?

I don't know what else to do. Just wondering if any of you have tried sifting garbage out of dirt like that? I'm concerned that getting the dirt to sift through the rock bucket might be a lost cause. Anyone have other ideas that might work? I really don't want to build a sifter if I don't have to.

Personally I would just dig a deep hole and bury it :cool:

If however you really REALLY don't want to do that, you are going to have to accept that it will cost you. I would find the nearest hire shop that rent out power screens - in recent years these have become more popular and are getting smaller. Rent a screen for a weekend and run your pile of trash through it - power screens work a lot better than rock buckets or even trummel buckets. :thumbsup:

A cheaper idea would be to level out the pile of trash, and pay a bunch of kids to rummage through it and pick out all the bits for you - maybe the local school would like to do a project on recycling??? :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #6  
haul it to the dump and be done with it, or dig a hole and be done with it.

trying to sift through dirt to remove stuff from it is just asking for extra work. at the cost of fuel and your time and wear and tear on stuff. by the time you messed around, you could have it done and gone to a dump or dug a hole and had things re leveled.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #7  
Put an add on Crages List for fill dirt and see what happens. Someone may pay you to let them haul it away. If not, then give it away, somebody wants it.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt
Thanks guys. I'm not going to bury it. I know that's done a lot but I don't want it on my property because no matter where I put it it will likely be in the way in the future for something I want to do. Also, we grow stuff for consumption and I don't know what's in the pile.

The landfill charges over $100 a ton. 50 yards has got to be 30 ton or more.

I just a few minutes ago found someone with a rock bucket with about 4" spacing between the tines. They're letting me use it for free. I won't get it until next week and if its not going to work I don't want to waste a week waiting for it. My soil is sand and its been dry so it may be it will actually work well.

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt #9  
I just a few minutes ago found someone with a rock bucket with about 4" spacing between the tines. They're letting me use it for free. I won't get it until next week and if its not going to work I don't want to waste a week waiting for it. My soil is sand and its been dry so it may be it will actually work well.

Given that it's sand, it might work ok. Be sure to take some photos of the trash before and after for us, as if it does work it will be worth noting for future TBN users...

Also Bigtiller's idea is a good one - stick an advertisement for free infill, and let someone who needs to fill a hole bury it on their land :thumbsup:

/ Disposing 50 yards trash filled dirt
Localmotion,

I did put an ad on craigslist for free fill. If someone wants it, that would be the best option for me!