New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #12  
Settled on the new 3.5 acre property on Friday.
Congrats Tom. I Look forward to following your progress.

All exterior cleanup is complete. The two trailers are empty and into a 30 yard dumpster. Tree removal underway. Pictures will follow.
You might consider resizing you pictures smaller before uploading them. Your first pictures are very large and don't display very well using a mobile device (slowwww to the point of unusable). I typically resize my pictures to 640x480 before uploading them to my thread on TBN. Makes for friendlier viewing. Just a thought.

I have one tree that has an approx 1' diameter hornet/yellowjacket/wasp nest up about 30'. Any suggestions on how to cut it down and avoid the critters? Cut and run? It is too high up to spray with anything. I have no water source out here.
That kind of hornet is very agressive. I once wrecked a tractor after I bush hogged a 2 foot tall sapling with a hornets nest on it.

Does that tree need to come down now? Personally I would wait, if possible, until winter when the hornets leave the nest. There is no way I would cut down a tree with a hornet's nest that size in it. You might be able to get away with it but you might get nailed before you get the tree down.

As a kid, I would throw rocks at hornets nests from far enough away to keep from getting stung. You can knock the nest off the tree with one or two well aimed rocks. The hornets will leave the nest once it is on the ground. We would occassionally find a hornet's nest in one of the trees in our apple orchard. You could just say good-bye to the apples in that tree.

Obed

/ New Home Begins #13  
You might be able to knock the hornets nest down using a shotgut but be prepared to run.

/ New Home Begins
You might be able to knock the hornets nest down using a shotgut but be prepared to run.

haha ... in NJ? Maybe that would work in TN, but here, I'd be arrested before the sound reverberation is gone. Townhouse development 1/4 mile away (out the back of the property).

/ New Home Begins #15  
Congradulatins on getting the property. I would do a night assult on the hornets if you have to have the tree removed otherwise I would just leave them. I would not try to cut it all at once and I would warm the saw up first away from the tree. As soon as they feel the vibrations they will come say hello. Good luck.

v/r
Mike

/ New Home Begins #16  
haha ... in NJ? Maybe that would work in TN, but here, I'd be arrested before the sound reverberation is gone. Townhouse development 1/4 mile away (out the back of the property).
I wouldn't try this method with a nest as big as yours.

/ New Home Begins
Before the TYM was delivered, several trees were cut down and the wood left. Better to wait for the tractor to do the heavy lifting instead of us.
P1010779.jpgP1010780.jpgP1010781.jpg

Cleared out two trailers in one afternoon and filled a 30 yard dumpster.

P1010784.jpgP1010789.jpg

/ New Home Begins #18  
Interesting site. Will be fun to watch your progress!

/ New Home Begins
A few more trees for me to take out but good progress already.

P1010799.jpgP1010803.jpgP1010807.jpg

The scrapper that we have allowed to pick through what remains of the house found these and left them for me. Found a badly corroded shotgun as well.

P1010804.jpgP1010805.jpg

Called the locals to come take it. I am not afraid of it but certainly do not need one more thing to worry about.

P1010806.jpg

Here is the hornet's nest I mentioned before. I am thinking that I may just let the excavator take it down. He can close the cab and move the whole tree to the back of the property.

P1010808.jpgP1010809.jpg

/ New Home Begins
Uncovered the trailer that we emptied. Placed a craigslist ad for scrap value only. Not road ready. Free to whoever can haul it away. 26 emails in the first two hours! :eek:

P1010811.jpgP1010813.jpgP1010814.jpgP1010815.jpg

It is in far worse shape than it may appear here.