New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Well, we are finally going to see some progress tomorrow. The basement is being poured and the subfloor framing will begin on Wednesday. Hopefully we will be able to start backfilling by the end of the week so we can get water shedding away from the foundation. With Superior walls (maybe all foundations?), we cannot backfill until both the subfloor is on and basement is poured so that it is strong enough to not collapse inward as the weight of the dirt presses on the basement walls.

More pictures to follow tomorrow night.

/ New Home Begins #262  
Slab and floor framing above are considered good practice to have on prior to backfilling any basement foundation, but I see it not done correctly a lot. Not sure how they all get away with it...

Looking forward to pics and progress!

/ New Home Begins
Slab and floor framing above are considered good practice to have on prior to backfilling any basement foundation, but I see it not done correctly a lot. Not sure how they all get away with it...

Looking forward to pics and progress!

It just goes to show how much has changed since the last time I built a home for myself, 22 years ago. Wow, I forget how long ago that was until I see it written here. Just a stark reminder that I am not a spring chicken anymore.

/ New Home Begins
:hissyfit: One more day without a dang concrete truck showing up. The ramp created to let the trucks come up high enough to make it over the 9' walls settled too much in the rain last week while I was away and the front edge collapsed in the freeze/thaw cycles. No concrete today. They will do it tomorrow with a pump.

/ New Home Begins
Finally!!!

The basement slab is in and the framers will start tomorrow!!

This was the small concrete pump ... 1/2 the price of the big ones and really easy to maneuver. The weather is expected to be in the upper 40s to near 50 for the next few days and lows in the mid 30s. Calcium was added to the mix also.

P1020575.jpg P1020577.jpg P1020579.jpg P1020580.jpg P1020582.jpg P1020588.jpg P1020589.jpg P1020591.jpg

/ New Home Begins #266  
Finally!!!

The basement slab is in and the framers will start tomorrow!!

This was the small concrete pump ... 1/2 the price of the big ones and really easy to maneuver. The weather is expected to be in the upper 40s to near 50 for the next few days and lows in the mid 30s. Calcium was added to the mix also.

Yay! Isn't it nice to see the project moving forward. Going to have good weather for it too, at least for this time of year.

I know it hasn't been very long yet, but I was wondering what you think of the superior wall system?

/ New Home Begins #267  
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That slump is VERY wet and the wire is on the ground. I'm at a loss as to what is going on here.

Eddie

/ New Home Begins
Thanks for sharing the pictures. That slump is VERY wet and the wire is on the ground. I'm at a loss as to what is going on here.

Eddie

Eddie,

The picture of the flow was at the very beginning when the pump was still pushing out the priming. It was thicker as they went along. Yes, they pulled the wire up into the middle but you are correct, it's really easy to walk on it, pushing it down so I am sure that some of it is not in the ideal position. They screeded, pull it up, bullfloat and moved to next section.

The pump also needs smaller aggregate than would be typical.

/ New Home Begins
Yay! Isn't it nice to see the project moving forward. Going to have good weather for it too, at least for this time of year.

I know it hasn't been very long yet, but I was wondering what you think of the superior wall system?

Yes, its a little too soon to give MY opinion, however; the framers love how dead level it was as well as the bolt holes for securing the mud sill are all pre-drilled. They just drill the end of a sill plate, bolt that one in place, then drill all middle holes and attach in rapid fashion.

On the down side, since you can't backfill without the slab AND subfloor in place, then you need to make accommodations when the top of wall is above the reach of the concrete truck like I had. Either a ramp that is high enough and close enough or a pump.

/ New Home Begins #270  
I've never seen that small of a pump truck before.

I see you used engineered wood beams. Were they significantly cheaper than steel? Around here steel beams are common.