Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 222930313233343542 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 653
  1. #311
    Super Star Member EddieWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    15,746
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    How are you attaching the interior walls to the exterior walls?

    Eddie

  2. #312
    Platinum Member tkappeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Hainesport, NJ
    Tractor
    TYM T293

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    How are you attaching the interior walls to the exterior walls?

    Eddie
    I believe they are insuring studs at intersections, construction adhesive and overlapping double top plates. This is typical in this area. I know for interior walls intersections, there are studs on either side of the intersecting wall and a filler for nailing to the intersecting wall.

    Overlapping double top plates all around. They are not in the current pictures as they are doing them this morning.

    EDIT: None of the interior walls shown are load bearing. Only the main beams that run front to back along the edges of the great room are loading bearing. Those walls are not in yet. There is blocking in every single cavity on the corresponding beams in the basement including solid, filled cavities under the 5 point loads on each beam that the rafters/posts will sit on.
    Tom

    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

  3. #313
    Super Star Member EddieWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    15,746
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Two concerns from the pictures that I don't understand from where the interior wall stud is attached to the exterior wall. I understant how top plates work and the different between load bearing and non load bearing. But every house moves and every house gets its strength from how the parts are tied together.

    First concern is that the connection from load bearing exterior wall to interior wall gains tremendous strength from tying the studs from both walls together. I've never seen or thought of doing it any other way. I don't even know what code is on that, or if it's legal or not. I'm guessing it is since you are getting inspections and your framing is something that the inspector will be looking at. It's just something I've never seen and don't see any reason to do it that way.

    The second concern is attaching the sheetrock to the exterior wall. How does it get attached to that inside corner where there isn't a stud? Do you cut out the foam and put in blocks of wood? I like to use five screws for every four feet of sheetrock, or a screw for every foot when installing sheetrock. How do you get that many screws into blocks without having a full length stud in the wall?

    Eddie

  4. #314
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,111
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by tkappeler View Post
    We did have to contact the soil conservation unit of the county. We were under the threshold amount of disturbed soil so did not have to put one up.
    You don't want to disturb too much soil in NJ, Lord knows who will turn up
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  5. #315
    Platinum Member tkappeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Hainesport, NJ
    Tractor
    TYM T293

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Two concerns from the pictures that I don't understand from where the interior wall stud is attached to the exterior wall. I understant how top plates work and the different between load bearing and non load bearing. But every house moves and every house gets its strength from how the parts are tied together.

    First concern is that the connection from load bearing exterior wall to interior wall gains tremendous strength from tying the studs from both walls together. I've never seen or thought of doing it any other way. I don't even know what code is on that, or if it's legal or not. I'm guessing it is since you are getting inspections and your framing is something that the inspector will be looking at. It's just something I've never seen and don't see any reason to do it that way.

    The second concern is attaching the sheetrock to the exterior wall. How does it get attached to that inside corner where there isn't a stud? Do you cut out the foam and put in blocks of wood? I like to use five screws for every four feet of sheetrock, or a screw for every foot when installing sheetrock. How do you get that many screws into blocks without having a full length stud in the wall?

    Eddie
    Eddie,

    You points are taken and I will review when I go back over to the property this weekend. The framers are NOT some hack outfit and have been in business for 30+ years. In fact, I used them 20 years ago to do the rough framing for a previous home. Is it possible that they missed something due to using a new material? Sure.
    Tom

    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

  6. #316
    Platinum Member Dr Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    849
    Location
    sioux city, ia
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    They make inside corner drywall clips, they are used in super insulated homes, to eliminate blocking.

    Dave

  7. #317
    Platinum Member tkappeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Hainesport, NJ
    Tractor
    TYM T293

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    They make inside corner drywall clips, they are used in super insulated homes, to eliminate blocking.

    Dave
    Thanks Dave! I think we will have to use them. There are 4 walls that intersect with the exterior. Raycore recommends not creating a pocket on the exterior walls for the intersections. They recommend running the exterior straight through where possible. The sheetrock is to run into the corner on the exterior wall and butt the interior sheetrock to it. These clips will help out. As it turns out one side of each of the walls is within 2-3 inches of a stud.
    Tom

    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

  8. #318
    Platinum Member tkappeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Hainesport, NJ
    Tractor
    TYM T293

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    The walls are all completed and now it's time for the trusses!! They are being delivered and begin to set tomorrow. More pictures later today.
    Tom

    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

  9. #319
    Platinum Member tkappeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    625
    Location
    Hainesport, NJ
    Tractor
    TYM T293

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    Since these pictures were taken yesterday, all walls with the exception of the gables for the great room are done.

    -p1020659-jpg -p1020660-jpg -p1020661-jpg -p1020662-jpg -p1020663-jpg -p1020664-jpg -p1020665-jpg -p1020666-jpg -p1020667-jpg -p1020668-jpg -p1020669-jpg
    Tom

    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

  10. #320
    Platinum Member Dr Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    849
    Location
    sioux city, ia
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

    Default Re: New Home Begins

    The house is looking good, it should be easy to heat and cool. Keep the pics coming, this is an interesting building process.

    Dave

Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 222930313233343542 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So it begins with my '91 318
    By notmyj in forum John Deere Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM
  2. Dirt Moving Kubzilla 2, And so it begins...
    By KubZilla in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
  3. And So It Begins
    By davemhughes in forum Photos
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 08:30 AM
  4. The Journey Begins
    By Trebor in forum Power Trac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.