New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #311  
How are you attaching the interior walls to the exterior walls?

Eddie

/ New Home Begins
How are you attaching the interior walls to the exterior walls?

Eddie

I believe they are insuring studs at intersections, construction adhesive and overlapping double top plates. This is typical in this area. I know for interior walls intersections, there are studs on either side of the intersecting wall and a filler for nailing to the intersecting wall.

Overlapping double top plates all around. They are not in the current pictures as they are doing them this morning.

EDIT: None of the interior walls shown are load bearing. Only the main beams that run front to back along the edges of the great room are loading bearing. Those walls are not in yet. There is blocking in every single cavity on the corresponding beams in the basement including solid, filled cavities under the 5 point loads on each beam that the rafters/posts will sit on.

/ New Home Begins #313  
Two concerns from the pictures that I don't understand from where the interior wall stud is attached to the exterior wall. I understant how top plates work and the different between load bearing and non load bearing. But every house moves and every house gets its strength from how the parts are tied together.

First concern is that the connection from load bearing exterior wall to interior wall gains tremendous strength from tying the studs from both walls together. I've never seen or thought of doing it any other way. I don't even know what code is on that, or if it's legal or not. I'm guessing it is since you are getting inspections and your framing is something that the inspector will be looking at. It's just something I've never seen and don't see any reason to do it that way.

The second concern is attaching the sheetrock to the exterior wall. How does it get attached to that inside corner where there isn't a stud? Do you cut out the foam and put in blocks of wood? I like to use five screws for every four feet of sheetrock, or a screw for every foot when installing sheetrock. How do you get that many screws into blocks without having a full length stud in the wall?

Eddie

/ New Home Begins #314  
We did have to contact the soil conservation unit of the county. We were under the threshold amount of disturbed soil so did not have to put one up.
:D

You don't want to disturb too much soil in NJ, Lord knows who will turn up :laughing:

/ New Home Begins
Two concerns from the pictures that I don't understand from where the interior wall stud is attached to the exterior wall. I understant how top plates work and the different between load bearing and non load bearing. But every house moves and every house gets its strength from how the parts are tied together.

First concern is that the connection from load bearing exterior wall to interior wall gains tremendous strength from tying the studs from both walls together. I've never seen or thought of doing it any other way. I don't even know what code is on that, or if it's legal or not. I'm guessing it is since you are getting inspections and your framing is something that the inspector will be looking at. It's just something I've never seen and don't see any reason to do it that way.

The second concern is attaching the sheetrock to the exterior wall. How does it get attached to that inside corner where there isn't a stud? Do you cut out the foam and put in blocks of wood? I like to use five screws for every four feet of sheetrock, or a screw for every foot when installing sheetrock. How do you get that many screws into blocks without having a full length stud in the wall?

Eddie

Eddie,

You points are taken and I will review when I go back over to the property this weekend. The framers are NOT some hack outfit and have been in business for 30+ years. In fact, I used them 20 years ago to do the rough framing for a previous home. Is it possible that they missed something due to using a new material? Sure.

/ New Home Begins #316  
They make inside corner drywall clips, they are used in super insulated homes, to eliminate blocking.

Dave

/ New Home Begins
They make inside corner drywall clips, they are used in super insulated homes, to eliminate blocking.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I think we will have to use them. There are 4 walls that intersect with the exterior. Raycore recommends not creating a pocket on the exterior walls for the intersections. They recommend running the exterior straight through where possible. The sheetrock is to run into the corner on the exterior wall and butt the interior sheetrock to it. These clips will help out. As it turns out one side of each of the walls is within 2-3 inches of a stud.

/ New Home Begins
The walls are all completed and now it's time for the trusses!! They are being delivered and begin to set tomorrow. More pictures later today.

/ New Home Begins
Since these pictures were taken yesterday, all walls with the exception of the gables for the great room are done.

P1020659.jpg P1020660.jpg P1020661.jpg P1020662.jpg P1020663.jpg P1020664.jpg P1020665.jpg P1020666.jpg P1020667.jpg P1020668.jpg P1020669.jpg

/ New Home Begins #320  
The house is looking good, it should be easy to heat and cool. Keep the pics coming, this is an interesting building process.

Dave