Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    TYM T293

Default Re: New Home Begins

OK, the entire country is having a cold spell right now. I am just curious, how cold does it get before contractors say "see you when this snap is over" in your part of the country? I am sure that the answers will be different for each area.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

I'll work until the electricity is out. Of course, I do all inside stuff.
    ____
    Jay

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Most work straight through here even if it is below zero with wind. You learn to dress appropriately and can be fairly comfortable in any weather. Not saying the bulk of clothing doesn't slow you down somewhat but most can't afford to take cold days off. Cold you can dress for...heat just sucks.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

One thing you do not have to deal with when it is real cold is the mud. It is now frozen. Unless of course you are trying to move the dirt.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

For areas that do not experience extreme cold, I doubt the workers, especially non-commercial construction outfits, own the clothing and equipment needed to feel comfortable. It's probably better that they take off rather than hate their job on your project
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I don't work outside when it's freezing and try to avoid anything in the 40's. It's just not worth the pain and effort to try to get anyting done under those condistions. Same with wind and rain. If it's bad, it can wait another day.

Eddie

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

I should have stipulated in my previous post that most contractors try to get a shell enclosed prior to severe winter weather. It doesn't always work out and many times commercial work they will instruct a poly shell surrounding the site to facilitate brick laying etc.

Eddie...40s??? Around here that is tee shirt working weather.

Tractor
    TYM T293

I have 750 sq ft of 1x6 T&G to stain this weekend. It would sure be better to do it now than when it is up on the ceiling.

I was thinking of the basement and put a salamander in it and crank it up as much as possible. Then turn it off so no open flames and stain the wood. Of course, need some venting for fumes but would this work?

If not, I will try to locate a closeby heated garage to "rent" for a day or two.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Quote Originally Posted by tkappeler View Post
    I have 750 sq ft of 1x6 T&G to stain this weekend. It would sure be better to do it now than when it is up on the ceiling.

I was thinking of the basement and put a salamander in it and crank it up as much as possible. Then turn it off so no open flames and stain the wood. Of course, need some venting for fumes but would this work?

If not, I will try to locate a closeby heated garage to "rent" for a day or two.
    No sense in renting anything as long as you have your basement! This is what we always did back when I swung a hammer.

I would hang a tarp to create a smaller work area, requiring less effort to get the temperature in the comfortable zone. If you can find a propane salamander, they don't smell as bad as the K1/diesel fueled units. Using diesel would be my last resort.

As with any open combustion heat source, a person does have to be careful with carbon monoxide...but what I have found - even with a tarp hanging, your workspace will be drafty. As the very warm air rises, it will pull in cold air from outside your tarp. If your house was fully constructed...the situation changes (more air tight).

I always found it satisfying to create that "first" workshop area where only a few days previous was an open lot.
    Dean

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Someplace on the stain can, it should mention the minimum temperature for application and drying. I know Minwax stains can dry very slowly in cool temps. I never noticed it affecting the final result, but I was always above the minimum. Your basement is probably still damp with high humidity, something to think about.

Do you plan on putting polyurethane on the T&G? I stained mine on the ground and used the wipe-on polyurethane from Minwax after the boards were on the ceiling. The high-gloss formula doesn't produce as high a gloss finish as the brush-on formula IMO.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 233031323334353643 ... LastLast