New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Someplace on the stain can, it should mention the minimum temperature for application and drying. I know Minwax stains can dry very slowly in cool temps. I never noticed it affecting the final result, but I was always above the minimum. Your basement is probably still damp with high humidity, something to think about.

Do you plan on putting polyurethane on the T&G? I stained mine on the ground and used the wipe-on polyurethane from Minwax after the boards were on the ceiling. The high-gloss formula doesn't produce as high a gloss finish as the brush-on formula IMO.

You are correct that the humidity level is really high in the basement as there is still a few puddles since the floor is not perfectly level. I am pretty sure I can raise the temp with a 225K btu salamander that is rented for $17/day + propane. The benefit of the basement is that I have plenty of scraps for sticking for drying and I do not have to move it when done.

Minwax says the minimum temperature is 55 and the preferred temp range is 60-90. I can have it set up early on Saturday and I expect that in a few hours, it will be at temp.

The other option is the excavator around the corner that I have been using has offered (free) one of his shops that is heated and I can use it at my convenience. The drawback is that I have to take over all the sticking/standoffs. I can have it delivered right to his location but then I have to move it all back when done.

I will figure it out over the next day or two. I have a little time as the trusses sit on the driveway and no activity until maybe Friday due to temps. This delay gives me a few more days to get it done.

/ New Home Begins #332  
For T&G, you want the wood good and dry before installing it. Otherwise, the shrinkage will eventually reveal a sliver of the the tongues, or worse. Make certain you stain the tongues well, as some long-term shrinkage, like next winter when you are heating the house, is unavoidable.

I had my ceilings sheet-rocked and taped but not finished. Our house is a single story. That allowed insulating the attic right away as winter was beginning, and meets the fire resistance requirements. I put the T&G up over the sheet rock the next summer. The wife and I swore we would never move into an unfinished house, having done that once before - Ha Ha.

/ New Home Begins #333  
I have 750 sq ft of 1x6 T&G to stain this weekend. It would sure be better to do it now than when it is up on the ceiling.

I was thinking of the basement and put a salamander in it and crank it up as much as possible. Then turn it off so no open flames and stain the wood. Of course, need some venting for fumes but would this work?

If not, I will try to locate a closeby heated garage to "rent" for a day or two.

I used this in my Great Room Prefinished Tongue and Groove Wood Paneling; T&G Pine & Cedar Walls / Ceilings

They also make prestained cedar siding under the name Michigan Prestain.

Quality was OK, some of the 1x6 boards were darker than the others like they had another coat of stain and some sap bled through on the knots. We used the "white" color.

Also start at the top of the cathedral ceiling and work your way down it will be eiser to correct any issues against the wall vs. at the center where the two sides meet.

Just some thoughts if you haven't already purchased your tongue and groove siding.

/ New Home Begins
Well, it does not look like the trusses are going up any time soon. :(

Even if they do get the prep work on the ground on Tuesday, setting them with the crane on a windy Thursday ... well ... we will see.

Weather - week of 1-28.jpg

/ New Home Begins #335  
That sucks about the delay; but you don't want them flying trusses if the wind speed is too high. Too many bad things can go wrong that would make for longer delays.

/ New Home Begins
Woohoo!!

The weather is finally cooperating and the trusses are up! A few days and the sheathing will be done. Then the heavy timbers go in for the great room. Finally!!

P1020682.jpg P1020687.jpg P1020688.jpg P1020689.jpg P1020690.jpg P1020691.jpg P1020692.jpg P1020694.jpg P1020695.jpg P1020696.jpg P1020698.jpg P1020700.jpg P1020701.jpg

/ New Home Begins #337  
Your really moving now!! House is looking great!! It's amazing how much bigger it looks with the trusses up. Going to be one nice house.

/ New Home Begins #340  
Trusses really make it start to come together visually. Once the roof and windows are on you will have achieved a great milestone, unfortunately it will seem like everything slows down after that. The work remaining is not as visually progressive, but certainly as equally important. Keep the pictures coming.