Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: New Home Begins

Quote Originally Posted by tkappeler View Post
    The 6x12 rafters are 48" on center. The panels do run horizontal, spanning them and staggered to provide the structural support. Purlins will run vertically perpendicular to the panels.
    Thanks, I can picture it now. Are you getting much snow from the storm, or is it mostly off to your northeast?
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Tractor
    TYM T293

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    Thanks, I can picture it now. Are you getting much snow from the storm, or is it mostly off to your northeast?
    We lucked out. The rain was not as hard or much as the weather heads were scaring everyone into. The winds were less too. We only got less than 3" of snow. I have not been to the property yet, and will be heading over there shortly.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    TYM T293

Beautiful morning at the property. Snowfall not too bad. Got some seat time in moving the trash lumber from the garage so we can begin backfilling there this week.

-p1020748-jpg -p1020756-jpg -p1020757-jpg -p1020758-jpg -p1020759-jpg -p1020761-jpg -p1020762-jpg
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

I love the look of the T&G ceiling.

Obed
    John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    TYM T293

Rain and snow on Friday and Monday, so no progress until today. The rafter to ridge plates are all in and more than half of the collar tie plates are done. The rafter plates were a real pain since all four plates are through bolted to each other and the rafters are rough cut, so they are slightly different sizes so the alignment is really touchy.

When they finished the plates, they completed the T&G and started on the Raycore roof panels. In the first pictures below, you can see the panels on edge over the T&G (the gap, over the rafter. Other pictures show the 4 mil poly over the T&G and the panels over that. Nine 9" timberlok's go through each panel (3 per embedded stud), through the T&G and into the rafter.

Tomorrow, they will finish the panels and then the tarp goes on again as ... you guessed it ... more rain and snow tomorrow night.

-p1020764-jpg -p1020763-jpg

-p1020765-jpg -p1020770-jpg -p1020774-jpg -p1020776-jpg -p1020778-jpg -p1020780-jpg

This one shows the studs embedded in the panels.
    -p1020785-jpg
    Tom

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Interesting. Will there be a layer of foam over the top of that? Otherwise those studs in the roof panels will be a major thermal bridge. I will be very curious to see how this system works.

I love the looks of the inside! That is really nice!
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Tractor
    TYM T293

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    Interesting. Will there be a layer of foam over the top of that? Otherwise those studs in the roof panels will be a major thermal bridge. I will be very curious to see how this system works.

I love the looks of the inside! That is really nice!
    No, there won't be another layer of foam. Yes, i understand the thermal bridging, but it is still far better than a typical attic with stapled up R30 or insufficient or matted down blown in insulation.
    Tom

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Tom, your use of beams and tongue and groove look very familiar to me. I also used foam panels on my roof, but they were not Raycore. For my roof over the T&G, they put OSB sheathing, then traditional felt before laying in the foam. The foam was covered with another layer of OSB and then another felt layer before putting steel roofing U-panels over that. I have had no problems with moisture, condensation, or leaks on my roof. The insulating factor of the foam over T&G seems very good. Attached is a photo of my great room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -inside3-jpg  
    Jim

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSDC

[QUOTE=tkappeler;3189461]

When they finished the plates, they completed the T&G and started on the Raycore roof panels. [/ATTACH]

tkappeler, will the installers use any type of spray foam (such as Great Stuff) between the Raycore panels to fill in any gaps, if needed?
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC

Tractor
    TYM T293

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Tom, your use of beams and tongue and groove look very familiar to me. I also used foam panels on my roof, but they were not Raycore. For my roof over the T&G, they put OSB sheathing, then traditional felt before laying in the foam. The foam was covered with another layer of OSB and then another felt layer before putting steel roofing U-panels over that. I have had no problems with moisture, condensation, or leaks on my roof. The insulating factor of the foam over T&G seems very good. Attached is a photo of my great room.
    That looks great!! I wish I could have done a standing seam metal roof but it was just too expensive. About 40% more not counting the lumber for the purlins.
    Tom

Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 283536373839404148 ... LastLast