New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #441  
Cheap casement and awning windows are crap too. My Mom's old place (1956) had steel framed casements made of angle iron. Although they are single paned energy pigs that had no seals whatsoever; the biggest hassle with them were the die-cast aluminum crank mechanisms crapping out. The local Ace hardware store kept a good supply of replacement mechanisms in stock.

When we remodeled Mom's kitchen, we put in aluminum clad wood framed Kolbe & Kolbe casement windows. Much, much better and she could easily open and close them unlike the original 1956 casements. There was no way my Mom could operate a single hung window, especially the one over the sink. She was 5'-2" in her 30's; but probably 5'-0" or less when she died at 90.

I'm not a big fan of vinyl windows because they flex too much in my opinion; but I do like that they don't need painting. If we replace the windows in Casa Lemon as I call our house, they will be casements. If I design a place, it will have casement and/or awning windows.

I don't think aluminum framed residential windows are made anymore.

/ New Home Begins #442  
i replaced all the original, double-hung windows in a house my wife and i own in missoula, montana with "revitalize" metal-clad, wooden double-hung windows from lincoln windows. they sealed up pretty well although on a couple of windows the bottom sill had warped a little which led to quite a struggle. i'm thinking good quality (non-vinyl) double-hung windows are what i'll look at when building our new house. i might end up going with single-hung windows for cost. the price of windows in general makes my hair ache. :shocked:

Last edited:
   / New Home Begins #443  
There's nothing quite as bad as jalousie windows. I had them in a Florida room of my last house. When the cold wind blew in the winter, you could feel a draft anywhere in the room. If I could find the person who designed those, I'd strangle 'em.:mad:

Cleaning them was such a joy. . . NOT!

Jalousie2.jpg

/ New Home Begins
There's nothing quite as bad as jalousie windows. I had them in a Florida room of my last house. When the cold wind blew in the winter, you could feel a draft anywhere in the room. If I could find the person who designed those, I'd strangle 'em.:mad:

Cleaning them was such a joy. . . NOT!

View attachment 305808

haha. Brings back thoughts of my youth and homes at the Jersey shores. My dad used to call them ja-lousy windows.

/ New Home Begins #445  
Windows, windows, windows. There are no good cheap windows. When I remodeled my current house, I put in all new Anderson 400 series casement windows. It's a big house, 19 windows (single through quad units) and two sliding doors. They are wonderful. I won't mention the price. There may be some people here with weak hearts. :D

/ New Home Begins #446  
Windows, windows, windows. There are no good cheap windows. When I remodeled my current house, I put in all new Anderson 400 series casement windows. It's a big house, 19 windows (single through quad units) and two sliding doors. They are wonderful. I won't mention the price. There may be some people here with weak hearts. :D

I already had one heart attack seeing the price of Andersen casements, so please spare me!

/ New Home Begins #448  
BIL just helped build a house for a Doctor, windows were $40,000.

/ New Home Begins #449  
BIL just helped build a house for a Doctor, windows were $40,000.

When a window salesman is all smiles and talking about saving you money with their windows, keep one hand firmly holding onto your wallet. Window salesmen are like used car salesmen.:rolleyes:

/ New Home Begins
Not much to show in pictures. Working on housewrap if and when the ground drys out enough to ladder the back and right side. Doing the DWV and electric now. The electric rough in should be done by the end of the weekend. Ordering the siding this week and will begin that soon. We are going with Certainteed Monogram 46, double 4" in Spruce. Of course it's a "premium" color which means a "premium" price.

Our soffits and facia trim will be natural clay to match the windows.

We still have to decide the window trim methods. Our choices are:

1) primed 5/4 x 4, capped with aluminum coil in Natural Clay color to match the Andersen Sandtone. More labor intensive and requires j channel around the windows.

2) vinyl lineal which has an integral J channel and requires buying full boxes in the desired color since it is not a standard stocked color.

3) Azek or Versatex or other PVC/composite. One flavor of these has the relief on the back for the window's nailing flange and integral 3/4" x 3/4" dado on the back so no j channel required. The downside is that it will need to be painted and that maintenance.

4) Hardie NT-3 which has no fasteners on the face. Small flashing-like strips are stapled to the back and then these are nailed to the house. it comes in colors but am not sure how flat/secure it will sit.

Any thoughts?