New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
rough electical approval.jpg

'Nuff said. :cool:

/ New Home Begins #494  
Oh geez, that inspector is an idiot. And if you used pigtailed 15-amp receptacles on a 20-amp circuit that does/did allow for many years, just how is that circuit design protecting extension cords? I can see where he's coming from; but that makes him no less of an idiot in my opinion.

Yeah what really made me laugh was that he said 15 amp breakers protected 16 gauge extension cords from over heating and causing fires. Just that I was a dumb engineer that didn't know anything about electricity.

/ New Home Begins
One more tub to put in tomorrow this afternoon or after work tomorrow and hook to the trunk and the drains will be done to the wall. Can either rent a core drill or a series of holes around the exterior and chisel it out. I know what my preference is. Superior walls says that if I go the drill and chisel route, to do it from the from the OUTSIDE, not inside for the drain to go through the wall as there is less blow out. I guess the 2.5" rigid foam holds everything together. Makes sense.

The siding is order and that will begin in about 7-10 days. That gives me time to wrap up the water supply and bath fans to the exterior.

/ New Home Begins
I know it's been a while and we have been busy. Drains are done. PEX lines are in place with only the connections to make. I need to locate an expansion tool. I hate to buy it for $400 to use for 1-2 hours then sell it again. I am hoping that a neighbor I recently met, who happens to work for Uponor, the maker of the pex tubing and fittings, has one he can lend for 1 night.

As soon as the water connections are made, we can go for the rough plumbing. HVAC goes in on May 1.

In the meantime, the siding was delivered yesterday and my wife and I spent a few hours to get some color up!

P1020831.jpg P1020832.jpg P1020833.JPG P1020834.jpg P1020835.jpg P1020836.jpg P1020837.JPG

edit: what looks like dust on the siding is in fact vinyl dust created from cutting the siding with a blade made specifically for vinyl siding. I used to use a fine tooth blade on backwards so it would not damage the siding. I am not sure which I like more.

/ New Home Begins #497  
I see you are making progress, the color looks nice.

The expansion tool for pex is crazy pricey. I guess that method is supposed to be the best though.

/ New Home Begins #498  
We have both the Watts Pex and the Uponor systems. I have never used the Uponor set yet but I'm trained for it. Main reason I did it was because it was free to get trained through our plumbing supply house and now we have the tools and plenty of fittings for if we ever run into it on a job site. I prefer the Watts system with cinch rings as it is easier and faster to make the connections. I've never had a connection fail with the Watts system.

Good luck searching for the expansion tool to use. Their expensive and not too many people will loan them out. If I lived near you I would let you use ours since all it does is sit on the shelf but I prefer not to mail it out as I know as soon as I ship it away I will need it and your a little too far away for me to drive over and pick it up :(

/ New Home Begins
We have both the Watts Pex and the Uponor systems. I have never used the Uponor set yet but I'm trained for it. Main reason I did it was because it was free to get trained through our plumbing supply house and now we have the tools and plenty of fittings for if we ever run into it on a job site. I prefer the Watts system with cinch rings as it is easier and faster to make the connections. I've never had a connection fail with the Watts system.

Good luck searching for the expansion tool to use. Their expensive and not too many people will loan them out. If I lived near you I would let you use ours since all it does is sit on the shelf but I prefer not to mail it out as I know as soon as I ship it away I will need it and your a little too far away for me to drive over and pick it up :(

Thanks for the thoughts. I called the neighbor last week but I think he was on vacation and I certainly would not want to disturb that. We will see if he calls back this week.

In the meantime, tomorrow is putting up the vinyl lineal on some windows before I head to work. The plan is to prep in the morning for the evening's efforts. I expect to have the front done by the end of the week given other obligations.

/ New Home Begins #500  
Lookin' good Tom, I like your paint work. :thumbsup: