New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins
Back on page 46, I was asking opinions for the lineals around the windows. The choices were pine/capped with aluminum, azek or similar but needs painting or vinyl. We settled for the maintenance free. After a slow start with one window, it came back to me. The second window took about 10 minutes, including cutting, miters, starter strips, etc. I am happy with that.

Sorry for the bad quality of the pics as they were taken with my phone, not camera.

IMAG0710.jpg IMAG0711.jpg IMAG0712.jpg IMAG0715.jpg

/ New Home Begins #502  
It looks fine and maintenance free is always good. Life is too short for painting. I do appreciate the beauty of an old Victorian Lady all freshly painted, but I would never own one.

/ New Home Begins #503  
I like the window trim you chose, what color is the siding going to be?

Dave

/ New Home Begins
I like the window trim you chose, what color is the siding going to be?

Dave

Dave,

Certainteed Monogram .046 thick vinyl, Spruce is the color. Some pics are back at this
post. The soffit and trim is Natural Clay, which is the color closest to the Andersen sandtone color.

/ New Home Begins
About 1/2 of the siding is up in 8 nights and 1 weekend. Gable end, unvented soffits are up as we go. The vented soffits for the eaves are not up yet as the supplier had to transfer natural clay "F" channel from a different location and is not in yet. What do you think?

P1020849.jpg P1020851.jpg P1020852.jpg P1020853.jpg P1020855.jpg

The porch and adjacent walls are not done since we are waiting for the concrete porch and garage to be poured so we can establish where the siding will go.

I will be pressure testing the water lines tomorrow and plugging the drains in preparation for the rough plumbing inspection later this week. HVAC next week.

I still have the gas lines to install over the weekend. That will be a combination of black pipe for running parallel to the joists and the corrogated stainless steel gas line for running through the joists. I may jump to 1" from 3/4" in the off chance that natural gas makes it way down the street, but we are told that will never happen. I have been told that 3/4" is plenty for propane.

Have a good night all.

Last edited:
   / New Home Begins #506  
Nice job Tom! I looked back at your first post of your property, you have made great progress.

I think you will be fine with 3/4" gas pipe, most natural gas home services are 3/4", and propane requires more gas per BTU, than natural gas.

Dave

/ New Home Begins #507  
Great work Tom. I know it's a nice feeling the be getting the siding up. Obed

/ New Home Begins
Big night last night. Rough plumbing inspection was slated for this morning. Since we have no well yet, we have no water to flood the drains to test for leaks and show the inspector. Pex lines have been holding 80 psi since Sunday so I was confident there. The jack of all trades excavator dropped off a trailer with a tank of 200 gallons of water for us to use. We plugged all drains and filled it up using a small pump and garden hoses. Unfortunately, we found one small leak in a 4" fitting to the master tub.

I made the trip to the big box store, drained the lines and cut out the offending piece.

IMAG0718.jpg

Yeah, I know, it was not my best work. I replaced it last night and filled it this morning before the inspector arrived.

All went well this morning. I got to the house early and filled the lines. I had a slip joint drip in the tub overflow but I can fix that after the line is drained again. The inspector arrived and passed us. He said we did a really nice, tight job. He liked that we used the PEX expander fittings rather than the crimp kind as the crimp fittings reduce the diameter of flow. The expanded are a full 1/2" or 3/4" through the fittings.

IMAG0719.jpg IMAG0720.jpg IMAG0721.jpg IMAG0722.jpg IMAG0723.jpg

HVAC installation begins tomorrow with the framing inspection next week some time.

edit: We will add additional supports tonight. We will put the gas lines this weekend.

/ New Home Begins #509  
Congrats on passing the plumbing inspection! When is the well going in?

Dave

/ New Home Begins
Congrats on passing the plumbing inspection! When is the well going in?

Dave

The well is expected to go in next week or so. They have to call for utility mark out before they drill. I expect them to come out and review the site at the end of this week anyway. The septic won't go in until after the house has the drywall loaded into it. The septic guy wants to wait for the heavy trucks to be finished before putting in the field since it will be in front. The drywall should be the last one to get close to the house.

The garage and porch slabs are scheduled for next week also. They are going to put rebar horizontally into the superior walls around the perimeter and use the existing brackets on the back wall. He also suggested digging two or three holes down 3' - 4' in the middle to act as piers to support the middle.

We have put up 16 square of siding and have about 6.5 square left. I am considering attaching the ledgers for a future deck now so we can get that sealed properly. Vycor against the rim joist, LedgerLok screws per code, more Vycor extending down over the lip of the ledger and metal flashing on it. It seems easier to accommodate the ledger from the start rather than rip siding out later.

P1020857.jpg P1020856.jpg