Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 74754555657585960 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Default Re: New Home Begins

I like your cabinets, and that is a great looking front door!

Tractor
    TYM T293

Lots of pictures tomorrow but we have been too busy getting it wrapped up.

1) electric service trench, 2.5" conduit, three 250 MCM lines with a 130' pull all complete, inspected and approved. I am waiting on the utility to now come put the meter in and cut it in.

2) All rooms except for the great room are painted. Two coats of drywall primer and two of color. We need to decide on the color for the great room.

3) Most electric outlets are installed and recessed trims complete.

4) Ceiling fans are installed.

5) Front door stained and three coats of spar varnish.

6) Tile floor done in the laundry room. Grout will be finished tomorrow morning.

7) Tile pattern laid out for the bathrooms and that will begin this coming week.

8) Had to install silt fence along the neighbor as all this **** rain is causing some runoff to him. I need to get the trim up so the gutters can go up and dig trench to bury the 6" pipe to the stream/swale.

9) Well pump has been installed and we will have water as soon as we have #1 above.

10) garage doors were supposed to be installed today but the low headroom track would not work with the superior walls clearance on the sides. Fortunately, after re-measuring after the garage floor was poured, we have 2" more to work with and no longer need the low headroom. Unfortunately, they did not have that track with them. They will be back out on Wednesday.

Sorry for the lack of updates.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Tractor
    TYM T293

Lots of pictures tomorrow but we have been too busy getting it wrapped up.

1) electric service trench, 2.5" conduit, three 250 MCM lines with a 130' pull all complete, inspected and approved. I am waiting on the utility to now come put the meter in and cut it in.

2) All rooms except for the great room are painted. Two coats of drywall primer and two of color. We need to decide on the color for the great room.

3) Most electric outlets are installed and recessed trims complete.

4) Ceiling fans are installed.

5) Front door stained and three coats of spar varnish.

6) Tile floor done in the laundry room. Grout will be finished tomorrow morning.

7) Tile pattern laid out for the bathrooms and that will begin this coming week.

8) Had to install silt fence along the neighbor as all this **** rain is causing some runoff to him. I need to get the trim up so the gutters can go up and dig trench to bury the 6" pipe to the stream/swale.

9) Well pump has been installed and we will have water as soon as we have #1 above.

10) garage doors were supposed to be installed today but the low headroom track would not work with the superior walls clearance on the sides. Fortunately, after re-measuring after the garage floor was poured, we have 2" more to work with and no longer need the low headroom. Unfortunately, they did not have that track with them. They will be back out on Wednesday.

Sorry for the lack of updates.
    Tom

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" - Thomas A. Edison

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Watching this build is terrific . Thanks for taking the trouble to show us over the months We're looking into replacing a combination of carpets and wood floor ( wood in the kitchen-diner ) with 8" oak premium grade
    throughout ( 3000 feet excluding stairs and bathrooms/laundry/storage etc ) , but it's very expensive at USD45k all-up . I thought the oak looked better than the maple , but it is softer . This stuff is some sort of rosewood
    laminate pre-cut lengths and fades badly .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Home Begins-img_0331-jpg  
    BX2360 54"MMM

Tractor
    TYM T293

Here are some pictures of the work I mentioned.

Tile for the laundry room. I will have to drill for the washer overflow but I picked up a 1 3/8" lennox diamond hole saw that goes through tile like butter.

New Home Begins-p1030007-jpg New Home Begins-p1030008-jpg

Front door, inside and out. We do not like the color in the great room and it is now a green.

New Home Begins-p1030004-jpg New Home Begins-p1030010-jpg

The electric service ready for the utility to connect it. I called them yesterday and they are going to connect next week. 250MCM, the biggest I have worked with.

New Home Begins-p1030005-jpg New Home Begins-p1030006-jpg

Miscellaneous rooms

New Home Begins-p1030013-jpg New Home Begins-p1030014-jpg New Home Begins-p1030015-jpg
    Tom

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

That is one seriously heavyweight power cable :-0 How many kilowatts do you think you'll ever get the need for ?
    BX2360 54"MMM

Tractor
    TYM T293

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRidge View Post
    That is one seriously heavyweight power cable :-0 How many kilowatts do you think you'll ever get the need for ?
    It's not the kilowatts. I had to upgrade from 4/0 due to the 160' distance from the utility connection. They required I upgrade due to voltage drop beyond the typical 3%. I asked the inspector why I had to use 250 MCM and the 125' utility lead from the transformer was about a 2/0. He said that the utility uses steel, not aluminum, and does not incur the losses like aluminum.
    Tom

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Quote Originally Posted by tkappeler View Post
    It's not the kilowatts. I had to upgrade from 4/0 due to the 160' distance from the utility connection. They required I upgrade due to voltage drop beyond the typical 3%. I asked the inspector why I had to use 250 MCM and the 125' utility lead from the transformer was about a 2/0. He said that the utility uses steel, not aluminum, and does not incur the losses like aluminum.
    That is about the funniest thing I have ever heard. Steel is a far worse conductor than aluminum. I have never heard of steel being used for electrical wire. If that is what he actually said, he is either clueless or making stuff up. Now the utilities will use cables with names like ACSR (aluminum conductor/steel reinforcement) to handle the stresses of long spans on poles, but note the name indicating that alum is the conductor...

I believe the reality is simply that the utility gets to operate under a different section of the code up to the meter, so they can get away with things you cannot on the house side of the meter... I also don't think you really needed to upsize for 160' run. I've been all through the calculations for my house, and I will be going with 250MCM for my run , but it is another 100' longer than yours. I just ran the calc for 160' and it gives a 5.44 V drop for 200A at 240V on Alum 250MCM (2.3%) and a 6.4V drop for 4/0 Alum (2.7%). Both are under the 3% recommendation. So your inspector appears to be full of it, but then that really doesn't matter in the end as you can't fight city hall...and it's too late now.
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

My house build blog: http://stighouse.blogspot.com/

Tractor
    TYM T293

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    That is about the funniest thing I have ever heard. Steel is a far worse conductor than aluminum. I have never heard of steel being used for electrical wire. If that is what he actually said, he is either clueless or making stuff up. Now the utilities will use cables with names like ACSR (aluminum conductor/steel reinforcement) to handle the stresses of long spans on poles, but note the name indicating that alum is the conductor...

I believe the reality is simply that the utility gets to operate under a different section of the code up to the meter, so they can get away with things you cannot on the house side of the meter... I also don't think you really needed to upsize for 160' run. I've been all through the calculations for my house, and I will be going with 250MCM for my run , but it is another 100' longer than yours. I just ran the calc for 160' and it gives a 5.44 V drop for 200A at 240V on Alum 250MCM (2.3%) and a 6.4V drop for 4/0 Alum (2.7%). Both are under the 3% recommendation. So your inspector appears to be full of it, but then that really doesn't matter in the end as you can't fight city hall...and it's too late now.

Yeah, it did not sound right to me either but you are right, you can't fight city hall. The inspector was not the one requiring it. It was the utility. It added $0.15 per foot to the cost. 170' (to be sure I was not short) * 3 conductors.
    Tom

Tractor
    ShovelandBarrow

Lookin' good Tom, that front door is beautiful. What size are those tiles in your laundry room, 16"?
    ____
    Jay

Page 57 of 66 FirstFirst ... 74754555657585960 ... LastLast