New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #591  
Nice to see the progress. It is as ton of work and a really long slog to get it all done, but you will appreciate it when you get there!

/ New Home Begins #592  
Everything looks great, I especially like the stone fireplace.

/ New Home Begins
We are nearing the end of this journey. This week we have:

1) Final grading began but was halted by rain
2) Stained all doors, poly on most
3) Had the propane installed - 100 gallon tank up against the house
4) Completed the front steps.
5) Water testing results should be back at the beginning of the week

To be done this weekend:

1) Finish about 100 square feet of siding around the french doors and fireplace.
2) Finish about 25 feet of soffit, install facia trim there. It's already formed and ready to put up
3) Finish front porch railing

We have the final inspection on Monday. I am sure he will find something but it will give us a punch list. We will ask for a temporary CO as we have to be out of our rental by 9/1

I have enjoyed sharing our experience with you all. I will finally get back to looking at all of the posts and enjoying a somewhat slower pace.

/ New Home Begins #594  
Sounds like you are closing in -- it moves fast at the end. Be sure to update us with some new pics!

/ New Home Begins #595  
We are nearing the end of this journey. This week we have:

2) Stained all doors, poly on most

Tom, it's an exciting time for you and your family, especially since so much of your home represents your own hard work. I'd give you a big round of applause, but it doesn't carry well over the internet.:D

One thing on your doors. I have ThermaTru fiberglass doors on my house. The original painters pooh-poohed the manufacturer's own paint finish kits and used their own. What a horrible mess that was just one year later as it peeled and chipped off. I bought a stain and finish kit from ThermaTru guaranteed for 5 years if it was applied according to instructions. I removed the old finish and applied the ThermaTru kit. It is top notch. It's expensive, but worth every penny. Good stuff! If your manufacturer sells their own kits, I'd get one and give it a try, especially if you have issues with the original paint.

/ New Home Begins
We had our final inspection today!!! The punch list is not long and not difficult:

1) Final grade not complete and stabilized - the bulldozer was at work when the inspector was there but was not complete yet. It will be by end of the day today.

2) Install splash blocks or drains - we knew about that and will have them in tonight.

3) Guards and handrails not complete @ front stairs - we may scrap this entirely as we would prefer to NOT have a railing at all and the inspector said that we can skip it if we change the grade so that the porch is 30" or less above grade. It may be better to just do that and remove the rail we started to install.

4) Seal line set to siding for AC compressor - Missed caulking there.

5) Secure/lock out rear doors to future deck - the french doors lead to nowhere right now as we do not want to put steps in as we will be building a deck in the spring. We can secure them so they cannot not be opened by simply removing the star pin on the deadbolt (Andersen lockset) and they wont open until replaced.

6) Rock under stairs in basement - this was missed by the drywall guys. Code calls for the steps to be protected by either rocking the bottom of the steps or the wallls on either side of the steps on the BASEMENT side. The stairwell side is already rocked. I have a call into them to come ASAP.

7) Glass doors or rod in both bathrooms - the shower rods were not put up yet but we have them.

I am sure we will have this done in the next two days and plan on moving on Saturday!

:cool2:

/ New Home Begins #597  
Good for you guys! That is a nice short list as far as punch lists go. Good luck and may you have many happy years in your new home.

/ New Home Begins #598  
Congratulation, sounds like you did it right the first time! To bad about the sheetrock contractor's slip up. If you cant get him back right away, I would do it yourself.

I hope the move goes good!

Dave

/ New Home Begins #599  
Congratulation, sounds like you did it right the first time! To bad about the sheetrock contractor's slip up. If you cant get him back right away, I would do it yourself.

Dave

/ New Home Begins

Dave

Sheetrock guy is coming out today. He said that this is a local requirement, not the code and we can come to some "understanding" about it. I am sure he will try to charge some nominal fee. :( Still better than me taking time out to get sheetrock and do it myself. He knows we want it done by tomorrow to have reinspect Thursday.