New Home Begins

/ New Home Begins #81  
   / New Home Begins #82  
Yeah, I noticed the moss growing on the roof too. I'll bet the OP is a hero to his neighbors for cleaning up that property.

/ New Home Begins
Yeah, I noticed the moss growing on the roof too. I'll bet the OP is a hero to his neighbors for cleaning up that property.

I am waiting for an accident to happen in front of the house from people driving by, looking over and losing control as they see it finally gone. :)

I know the township is ecstatic. My next door neighbor has been really helpful and nice overall. The other day, he flew off the handle because the BH operator pushed a tree over that clipped one of his trees. Arms flying, f-bombs could be heard over the noise of the machine, yelling at me as if I did it. :confused:

He will calm down ... I hope. I don't want to become the Harfields and McCoys before the house is even done.

/ New Home Begins #84  
I've following this thread since it started. You have made tremendous progress and the property is looking great. Enjoyed the demo pictures, and it will be a similar view at my place in a few weeks or so. I'm currently striping an old house that I have hired a contractor to demo and haul off in preparation for my build. Enjoying the thread and keep up the good work!

/ New Home Begins #85  
I am waiting for an accident to happen in front of the house from people driving by, looking over and losing control as they see it finally gone. :)

I know the township is ecstatic. My next door neighbor has been really helpful and nice overall. The other day, he flew off the handle because the BH operator pushed a tree over that clipped one of his trees. Arms flying, f-bombs could be heard over the noise of the machine, yelling at me as if I did it. :confused:

He will calm down ... I hope. I don't want to become the Harfields and McCoys before the house is even done.

Did it damage his tree or was he just over reacting? Regardless I would think he would be happy to see you improving the lot and also understand you didn't do it and I doubt the contractor didn't intentionally try to clip his tree. Hopefully he does calm down, bad neighbors just take the fun out of living somewhere.

/ New Home Begins #86  
If the neighbor doesn't chill out; buy him a case of the cheapest crappy beer you can find and see if that changes his tune. If that doesn't work; just do your best to ignore him, and eventually plant some sort of fast growing screening hedge along your shared property line.

/ New Home Begins
If the neighbor doesn't chill out; buy him a case of the cheapest crappy beer you can find and see if that changes his tune. If that doesn't work; just do your best to ignore him, and eventually plant some sort of fast growing screening hedge along your shared property line.

Well, I do have some ace's up my sleeve. I have the upper hand no matter what.

1) He has become accustomed to using our property, while it was vacant by the past owner, as part of his hunting ground (bow). There is a deer stand in one of our trees that has been there for a long time and recently used.

2) When we purchased the property and received the survey, his fence starts at the pin just fine, but the other end (about 300' down) is 5 1/2' onto our property. Yes, feet, not inches. He has offered to move the fence but I recognize that moving the fence to the line means also uprooting the cedars because they are on the property line. In addition, I like the fence and if I was putting on up, it would be inside my property line also, maybe not that much, but it would still be inside it

I am going to get the advice of a real estate attorney to insure that adverse possession does not enter in. I want to retain my rights to the encroached area.

/ New Home Begins #88  
Tom, if I were you I would have him move the fence and then you can replant with some fast growing Leyland Cypress trees. Leylands grow fast, are very strong regarding a windbreak and they provide excellent privacy. Check them out, you only need to buy a 2-3 foot tall tree. Buying some trees will be a lot cheaper then some kind of future court case down the road. Good luck with this issue. Also you can still let him use the deer stand (to be friendly) but seriously think about the privacy hedges or trees.

/ New Home Begins #89  

1) He has become accustomed to using our property, while it was vacant by the past owner, as part of his hunting ground (bow). There is a deer stand in one of our trees that has been there for a long time and recently used.

2) When we purchased the property and received the survey, his fence starts at the pin just fine, but the other end (about 300' down) is 5 1/2' onto our property. Yes, feet, not inches. He has offered to move the fence but I recognize that moving the fence to the line means also uprooting the cedars because they are on the property line. In addition, I like the fence and if I was putting on up, it would be inside my property line also, maybe not that much, but it would still be inside it

I am going to get the advice of a real estate attorney to insure that adverse possession does not enter in. I want to retain my rights to the encroached area.

The easiest way to maintain your right to the land is to give him permission to use the land (keep the fence where it is) and have him acknowledge it with his signature on your letter giving him permission. It also takes a long time of use, 30 years of use in New Jersey, for them to file a claim of adverse possession.
Interesting article in NY Time about this YOUR HOME - Acquiring Property By Using It - NYTimes.com

/ New Home Begins #90  

Be careful or you could legally lose that property to adverse possession. I believe if someone use anothers property for 9+ years they have legal claim to it. Talk with an attorney and licensed surveyor knowledable in property law. Serious, serious stuff!