Log splitters

/ Log splitters #1  

Michelle K linnane

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4103
I have been looking at log splitters for the second year I borrowed some ones but I hate to do that. His old and will split
anything but it is borrowed and I hate to borrow stuff. I have been looking at log splitter and boy there are some real differences
I know timberwolf makes a good but I do not think I am ready to spend that kind of money.

I saw one that was by directions which was the Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter 20-Ton but I want something
that will split most anything and I am not sure if 20 ton is enough. The one I have borrow is home made with a 10 horse power
snow blower engine on it and the ram is almost 3 feet. So it is a monstor and I have no idea how many ton it is.

But for what I do by directional seems really great and it has trays on the side to hold wood. Another option is the log lift
which seems kind of nice but I normally have help splitting wood and the tray would keep two people from working on the splitter but with an auto lifter I would not need any help. And I normally do not cut that big a tree.

Can people tell me what they have I want to know if 20 ton will split most everything you can think of and has anybody used
the by directions splitter boy that seems to be the Cat's Butt!

Also price on what you paid for yours.

/ Log splitters #2  
I have a 20 ton northern hydro. that I like. We just cut a red oak that grew in a field and was 40 some inches across the stump, We split all but one piece and I think we could have split that but the crew was tired and threw it aside. That is pretty normal with this splitter one or two pieces out of a huge tree. Not a monster but a good solid splitter. Don't know what I paid for it but a new 22 ton in the catalog is $1399.99 and if you live near a store they will ship free to the store. Hope you find what you are looking for. Ed

/ Log splitters #3  
Here's mine. 22 ton, and it's split eveything I've tried. Got it for $1000.00 from Tractor Supply, that included assembly, and hydraulic and motor oil. It's made by Speeco, and given me flawless performance since purchased. I don't know much about the bi-directional horizontal types, but if it will only work horizontally, every piece has to be lifted. What's the big draw? If the bi-directional splitting capability makes it faster, how much time do you loose by having to lift every piece up to the table (even if you use a log lift) ? Twice as many splits per cycle does not necessarily mean twice as fast. (IMHO)

WoodSplitting011.jpg

Once I get a tree down, I tow my splitter to the rounds. Just roll them under the ram, pull the handle and.........

WoodSplitting002.jpg

The picture shows how far the ram traveled before the log split, not very far. Once the pieces are split, in the carryall they go, to get hauled to the pile.

WoodSplitting010.jpg

I'm very happy with this splitter. It's split oak, hickory, hackberry, hedge, elm, maple, mulberry, pecan, etc. I've split pieces as large as 38" diameter. Not just the straight trunk, but also crotch pieces. HTH Mark

/ Log splitters #4  
I've been looking also. I found this nice one but it seems a bit expensive

/ Log splitters #5  
I've been looking also. I found this nice one but it seems a bit expensive

I think SpeeCo makes one of those also, also expensive. I've wondered how well they hold up. My current splitter is an 8 lb. maul, no log lifter :laughing: I don't use enough wood to justify buying a splitter, but I always think I should have one.

/ Log splitters #7  
A few pointers when longsplitter shopping: Dont look at the tonnage rating. Most on the market that are rated @ 22T are the same as the 20T and 18T ones. Same goes for 25T, 27T, and 28T.

So getting a 22T instead of a 20T and thinking you are getting more power is not the case.

Instead look at the diameter of the cylinder. Commonly there are 3 used. 4" cylinder (18,20, and 22T); 4.5" 25,27,28T); and 5" (30+ ton ratings).

And about your "borrowed" splitter. You mentioned a 3' ram. All that allows is you to split longer peices. But has NO bearing on power. It is the diameter and pump PSI that dictate power. So see if you can determine what the diameter of that cylinder is. If it is a 4" cylinder and you are happy with it, you will be happy with 10,20,22T models.

Also, the more tonnage you get, the slower they "usually" are. Unless they use a bigger GPM pump. Which is another spec. Some mfg's offer morethan one pump option. For example, if you are looking at a 22T splitter and it has an 11gpm pump, if you can upgrade to 16gpm for not much more $$$, it will be much quicker.

The splitters with the 4" cylinder will split about everything except maybe a couple of peices of nasty elm or twisted up maple crotch peices. Someone mentioned red oak....that is one of the easier woods to split.

Horizontal or vertical.....If you have alot of BIG peices to split, it is worth it to get a vertical model. Bust them in halves or quarters (managable peices), and then set it back up horizontal.:thumbsup:

I am not a fan of the bi-directional splitters. For about 70% of what we split, it only takes running the ram half way out to bust. So now you have the wedge right in the middle of the table and the options are either retract it for the next split, or extend it the rest of the way out for the next split. This would make a bi-directional splitter just as slow as the old style. And also keep in mind that the bi-directional splitters dont have as much power in reverse.

Now all that said, we have a tsc huskee (speeco) 27t splitter and it has been a good solid reliable splitter for the last 10-12 years we have had it. Easy to maintain and simple to work on. And it has good table height cause I have seen quite a few splitters where the beam/table is down at your knees and while that is easier to get big peices onto, it is hard on your back hunching over all day splitting.

/ Log splitters #8  
I have the PowerHorse 13 ton (which by my calculations is really about 11 tons for my tractor) and I've been amazed that it will split almost anything I've tried. Other than some really bad twisted grain stuff, it splits easily. Also, the bi-directional design works well for me. However, mine only has about an 18" stroke (I never split anything over 16 inches long because of my stove size) so it might not be as much of an advantage for someone splitting longer rounds. Also, I generally don't even mess around with anything over 2 feet in diameter because I just don't want to work that hard.

/ Log splitters #9  
I have a 35 ton and believe it or not I have never failed to split a log of any size but it has nearly stopped before but these are long logs for outside furna e

/ Log splitters #10  
I couldn't disagree more with regards to LDTs opinion on bi-directional splitters below.

"I am not a fan of the bi-directional splitters. For about 70% of what we split, it only takes running the ram half way out to bust. So now you have the wedge right in the middle of the table and the options are either retract it for the next split, or extend it the rest of the way out for the next split. This would make a bi-directional splitter just as slow as the old style. And also keep in mind that the bi-directional splitters dont have as much power in reverse."

I have only operated a Splitfire bi-directional. They are in my opinion the cadilac of the woodsplitter. It is quality made in North America. They are as powerful on the outstroke as on the back stroke. I split a lot of elm and it never splits half way. In fact you have to cut it right up to the end of the stroke. Even if a log does split half way IMHO it is more efficient to continue to a point where there is room to put the log on the cradle to then reverse it rather than pulling back on the lever to get the ram back for re-loading. Often a splitting log will jam on any splitter. With the bi-directional you can simply put a log on the other end and as you split it the bound piece will be pushed out. No wrestling with a half cut knarly piece of wood.

Now having expounded on the best woodsplitter made I must admit I bought an $1100 22 ton champion chinese splitter rather than the $3300 ade splitfire. The reason was simple economics. I only split a few cords a year and when I own the unit I don't need a speedy machine. I haven't found a piece of wood that my 22 ton can't split.