Log splitters

/ Log splitters #41  
There really is no benefit to "popping" the log apart any sooner with a bi-directional splitter. Cause you still have to ake the full stroke to clear the peice to be split on the return stroke.

/ Log splitters #42  
There really is no benefit to "popping" the log apart any sooner with a bi-directional splitter. Cause you still have to take the full stroke to clear the peice to be split on the return stroke.

gotcha. I see said the blind man. Never used one so my frame of reference is off.

/ Log splitters #43  
Not true LD, sometimes they pop after the splitting head is only in a few inches....hit reverse, then throw in another log, go forward again. It doesn't happen often but it make you feel like spotting that last french fry in the bottom of the bag:laughing:

/ Log splitters #44  
Not true LD, sometimes they pop after the splitting head is only in a few inches....hit reverse, then throw in another log, go forward again. It doesn't happen often but it make you feel like spotting that last french fry in the bottom of the bag:laughing:
yeah that's why i like the red oak and locust. most time less than 6 inches into the block it's apart back it up ready for another log

/ Log splitters #45  

yeah that's why i like the red oak and locust. most time less than 6 inches into the block it's apart back it up ready for another log

Which is why I have said all along that I personally dont see much benefit to the 2-way splitters. Sure, it is a little faster. But certainly not 2x's faster as some clame, for these very reasons. It all depends on what you are splitting.

IE: Red oak that splits super easy, with a conventional splitter with a big fat wedge is most likely going to out split one of these two directional splitters. Cause it will pop apart after about 4" into the wood 90% of the time. With a 2-way it might take 6 or 8" due to the skinny wedge design.

Now if you are splitting some real stringy stuff that takes a full stroke everytime....like elm or hickory, then it is another story. But it still wont be 2x's faster cause for me, with one person and a conventional splitter, it is already returned before I am ready with the next peice.

/ Log splitters #46  
No it ain't 2x as fast, but I will say I do split more wood even when working alone then I did with the old 27 ton regular splitter. What I do miss is going vertical for those bigguns, but then again I don't miss crawling around on my hands & knees..........it is a trade off but at 6'4 I'd rather stand.

/ Log splitters #47  
I have dropped plenty of heavy wood on those fenders and am glad that they are soft plastic.

Could not agree more about the plastic fenders. I have the 27 ton Troy-Bilt with Honda engine that has been mentioned a few times. When I bought it at Lowes 5 years ago I was somewhat skeptical about the plastic, as other models I was considering had the metal. Only took one log dropping on the fender to realize plastic was better. Overall the machine works excellent for my needs (about 4-5 cords a season). The horizontal option was a no brainer due to the size of some rounds we have had to split. This machine has split everything I have thrown at it, with the exception of a couple gnarly crotch pieces that seemed more attractive for my fire pit anyway.

/ Log splitters #48  
Bought wood splitter this weekend from tractor supply they had them on sale for $990 so I bought 22 ton splitter.

I bought the same, with a Honda engine, 5 or 6 years ago. Short story: the Honda block cracked less than a year after purchase and Honda had no interest in upholding the warranty. Rep would not even look at it. After 6 weeks of back and forth the local TSC manager replaced the splitter with the same size splitter with a Briggs engine. Primer bulb, no choke. So, if you wanted to start it very cold- say 20 F or less- you had to prime it more times than usual and then keep hitting the bulb until the the engine warmed up....So, I changed the engine oil to synthetic and drained the hyd fluid and replaced with Walmart transmission fluid, which is thinner. I spent another $100 and bought a tray from a fellow who sold his on ebay. No issues since.
I split alone, load rounds from the bucket of the loader, and only wish the cylinder speed was a little faster. With only a few cords to cut, this splitter has been a very cost effective solution for me.

/ Log splitters #49  
Short story: the Honda block cracked less than a year after purchase and Honda had no interest in upholding the warranty. Rep would not even look at it.

any idea why? Seems strange they won't inspect their own engine.

/ Log splitters #50  
I am 49 years old. Up until this past Sunday I was splitting native red oak with an 8lb maul by hand.
Sunday I was given the use of a Super Split for the day. Free from a fellow farmer. Well actually now I owe him when he calls me....fortunately my 15 year old Brother in Law is negotiating. He got me he splitter.

Anyways. We had 4 hours of daylight to work. The team was me, my brother in law, my wife and our neighbor a 17 year old girl. We yielded 5 cord of stacked, split oak on pallets in 4 hours, moved in real time. Two motivated workers can put out same volume. 24" + logs, fast. I need to actually measure it out. Could be 6 cord. It's tarped & we had snow the next day. Big pile of big logs. DONE.

Was considering to buy one, $2700 + +

DR Rapidfire $1800. Thoughts anyone?