Log splitters

/ Log splitters #51  
I am 49 years old. Up until this past Sunday I was splitting native red oak with an 8lb maul by hand.
Sunday I was given the use of a Super Split for the day. Free from a fellow farmer. Well actually now I owe him when he calls me....fortunately my 15 year old Brother in Law is negotiating. He got me he splitter.

Anyways. We had 4 hours of daylight to work. The team was me, my brother in law, my wife and our neighbor a 17 year old girl. We yielded 5 cord of stacked, split oak on pallets in 4 hours, moved in real time. Two motivated workers can put out same volume. 24" + logs, fast. I need to actually measure it out. Could be 6 cord. It's tarped & we had snow the next day. Big pile of big logs. DONE.

Was considering to buy one, $2700 + +

DR Rapidfire $1800. Thoughts anyone?

/ Log splitters #52  
I am 49 years old. Up until this past Sunday I was splitting native red oak with an 8lb maul by hand.
Sunday I was given the use of a Super Split for the day. Free from a fellow farmer. Well actually now I owe him when he calls me....fortunately my 15 year old Brother in Law is negotiating. He got me he splitter.

Anyways. We had 4 hours of daylight to work. The team was me, my brother in law, my wife and our neighbor a 17 year old girl. We yielded 5 cord of stacked, split oak on pallets in 4 hours, moved in real time. Two motivated workers can put out same volume. 24" + logs, fast. I need to actually measure it out. Could be 6 cord. It's tarped & we had snow the next day. Big pile of big logs. DONE.

:welcome:

/ Log splitters #53  

Sweet. I've started doing more splitting by hand now...strangely enough. My dad (70yrs) shamed me into it...and I like it. So i'll keep renting the splitter when in need one, and chop chop with the axe for everything else. :)

cheers,
Hayes

/ Log splitters #54  

I think the RapidFire has the edge in customer service. Read this thread, then search SuperSplit on the subforum.....lots of info and O-pinions.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/179047.htm

/ Log splitters #56  
I bought the Speeco 20 ton. It has split anything I have tried it on as I expected.
I had another 20 ton Speeco that I sold to a friend a few years ago when I thought wood splitting days were finally over for me. I was happy with it once it was started. It had an engine that did not amuse.
The Speeco's for sale now use either the Honda or Briggs and are easy starting and last. The splitter was never the issue. If you trust the engine, you will like the splitter.

/ Log splitters #57  
I purchased Cub Cadet Log Splitter LS 25 CC from LogSplittersDirect.com (LSD) on the web. I have used it ONCE and it leaks hydraulic fluid - see that attached video. Tightening the bolt doesn't help - supposedly MTM who makes this model and Troy built have leaky weld problems based on my reviews elsewhere. Worse yet is LSD tells me to pound sand when I ask to return it since i gassed it up - how do you try a log splitter without gassing it up? What a rip off! Now they have me calling local repair places to try and get it repaired under warranty so I'll know I'll be out of pocket one way or another. Definitely avoid a hassle and avoid LogSplittersDirect.com! Buy local so they support you - I learned my lesson the hard way.

Cub Cadet 25 CC Log splitter - leaking hydraulics on first use - Avoid LOGSPLITTERSDIRECT - YouTube