I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Been a couple busy weeks juggling between getting the new 320 amp service set up with transfer switch for generator hookup, and getting beams cleaned up, plates welded, uprights anchored in concrete, and finally the beam set today. Some re-grading to do on the subgrade, then after the Labor Day weekend, will have the floor poured..!! Things are looking up..!!

16 in. I beam 009.jpgNew 320 smp electric service 011.jpg

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #2  
Hello,
Why did you put a big I-beam up??? I see that you have roof trusses, so I'm thinking you did it so you can hook on to it to lift things, like engines etc. ????? Inquiring minds need to know...LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

MFWD

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #3  
Will you come over and do my electric work? How come electricians can't do anything that looks that neat...

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #4  
Hello,
Why did you put a big I-beam up??? I see that you have roof trusses, so I'm thinking you did it so you can hook on to it to lift things, like engines etc. ????? Inquiring minds need to know...LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

MFWD

I'm not the OP, just my two cents.

No way would that wood truss stand up to the stress and weight that is required over time to carry engine blocks...of bigger. Doing it right with a beam is the best thing to do and doing it now before the floor is smart.

Like they say, better to have it and NOT need it then to NEED IT and not have it.

I can see installing an electric winch on rollers up there to handle anything. The truss would never carry that.

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #5  
Been a couple busy weeks juggling between getting the new 320 amp service set up with transfer switch for generator hookup, and getting beams cleaned up, plates welded, uprights anchored in concrete, and finally the beam set today. Some re-grading to do on the subgrade, then after the Labor Day weekend, will have the floor poured..!! Things are looking up..!!

View attachment 278231View attachment 278232

I really like the creative way it appears you set the beam.

If you dont mind asking, what size is the beam and what is the span?

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #6  
Will you come over and do my electric work? How come electricians can't do anything that looks that neat...

Because we don't use plumbing fittings to run our conduits...:laughing:

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #8  
I saw that also, but hey...it works. PVC is PVC, who cares what color it is. (at least I dont).

BTW, what is the reasoning for the grey??? I have always just assumed it was so no-one mistakenly cut into it thinking it was a water or drain line???

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up
The I Beam is up there to work on tractors, trucks, etc. I have 3 trolleys with chain hoists in my present shop, on an 18" X 32' beam. I can park a tractor longways under the beam, and pull the front end, roll it out of the way. Take the engine, and set it on an engine stand if needed. Take the torque tube with the same hoist, and have the 3rd one to work on what's left. Maybe pull a transmission cover if needed.

The I beam is a 16". Uprights are 8" X 8" H beams. Dug a 24" round hole 4' deep, then 4' X4' X 30" deep to anchor it. I put rebar in, and left it stick up 3" to tie into the 6" floor that will be poured here in the near future. Span is 26'- 11", inside the uprights.

I really wanted a 14", but a local demolition contractor had this, and the H beams. Used, but in decent shape. I got it all, plus another 26' of 16" for less then half of what a new 15" 30 footer would cost. Worked for me..!!

As for the electric.... I am setting up a 320 amp service, and wanted to have a hookup for the generator. There was some misunderstanding between the rep from the electric company, and the electrician. They said I needed a double disconnect, to get away from the utility power, when running the genny. Problem is, the key phrase there should have been "double throw disconnect". So I ended up with two breaker type disconnects on the outside of the building. That would not fly with the power company... Needed the box on the right to do the job. So..., the funky routing of the conduit connects what I already had on the outside, and makes the connections to the inside. And eliminated the one breaker disconnect on the outside.

As for the PVC conduit. If they made conduit fittings like they they do "drain pipe" as the engineer from the power company called it, it would have all been gray. They make sweeping 45's and 90's, but need connectors on each end. Plumbing pvc fittings can be belled on both ends, or in st. el fashion.

I did a little searchng on the net as far as using plumbing pvc for conduit. Actually, it is better pipe, as it is designed for pressure. The gray is added for UV protection, and also to distinguish also I guess... Also, if thye didn't want you to use plumbing pvc for conduit, they would not make box clamps in NPT..., LOL...

I do know the copper 400 MCM wire is like wrestling an Anaconda..!! The 4/0 was a piece of cake compared to that...

Note the guarded light above the boxes. I wired it in on the incoming side from the meter base, to let me know when the power from the utility comes back on. Should be able to see it from anywhere in the house. Found a nifty little fused switch made by Buss, to make the fuseable link.New 320 smp electric service 010.jpg Now to dig around for a low amp fuse... They want as much for 1 6 amp fuse, as thye do a pack of 4 10 amp + fuses... I'm sure there is one around in Papppy's stash somewhere... :)

/ I-Beam up in the new shop, and 320 amp service set-up #10  
A 16" beam:thumbsup:

Should be able to lift anything you want. I dont know the rest of the specs of that beam, but even on the lighter end of the 16" beams, and 27' span, it should handle 10k easy:thumbsup: