Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options???

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
looking for advise to renovate my current Horse pasture. Given the lack of rain it has all but died off. i have purchased enough hay to get me by this year, and the horse are in the dry lot I usually fertlize every other year so its scheduled for the spring 2013 Should I run a subsoiler to break up the compaction? Thought about trying to add some seed but afaid it will not gernimate without sufficent water. Ideas ????

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #2  
I dont know the type of grass that you have but it may just be dormant and will come back with the projected rains from the storm. Subsoiler would work to let the forth coming rain soak in good.

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #3  
Water is headed your way. The hurricane is scheduled to go all the way to the great lakes.

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #4  
Contact your local county extension agent and ask what they recommend in your area.

You can find articles on Pasture Management Following a Drought, which often recommend taking soil samples and applying phosphorus and potassium as recommended by the soil test laboratory. It may be harmful to apply Nitrogen in the Spring.

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #5  
I ran my subsoiler through my hayfield/future pasture this early spring, after the spring rains subsided. Went down 16"+. Slabs of sod literally pulled loose on top. This was the first I have ever known this ground to have something done to it like this, and we bought in 1969. Cattle was on it from 1970, to about '85. Just mowed after that, and hay made from it since 2000. To make an even bigger mess, with the drought, not enough rain to mellow things back out. It is just now settled back down some.

I bought a used 48" slit seeder late last fall with intentions of reseeding my pasture ground. Going to attempt it in mid, to late Sept. Hopefully the fall rains will get it started. You can rent those slit seeders at certain equipment dealers, and rental places. Locally here, they are $175.00 per day. That's why I jumped on the one I bought. Guy placed a Craigslist ad, and asked for offers. I was the only one that called in 2 months. Got it for $100.00, and is in decent shape, other than surface rust. We'll see how it works, then clean it up if it works out OK...

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #6  
I should have mentioned, I usually use a 72" 3pt. aerator on my fields. It does a pretty decent job, but, has to be done just at the right time of moisture content, to do a good job. Normally goes in 4-5". I could tell the difference the first year I used it, and skipped the fertilizer, to see if their claims were at least somewhat believeable. It did the trick, and the years I do fertilize helps get it to where it needs to be.

Maybe something to consider looking for over the winter, or even before. I bought my new Bush Hog brand aerator that had been sitting on the lot for a couple years. I'd say it was pretty close to his cost, just wanting to move it.

The plug it removes melt away after a decent rain or two.

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #7  
I would love to send you the extra water that is making our driveway unusable ... but I cannot seem to find a way to attach it to this message :(

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #8  
looking for advise to renovate my current Horse pasture. Given the lack of rain it has all but died off. i have purchased enough hay to get me by this year, and the horse are in the dry lot I usually fertlize every other year so its scheduled for the spring 2013 Should I run a subsoiler to break up the compaction? Thought about trying to add some seed but afaid it will not gernimate without sufficent water. Ideas ????

Seeding/Renovating

Look in above link for some ideas. I like the Farnam pasture renovators with the seed/ferterlize box behind. Ken Sweet

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #9  
I would love to send you the extra water that is making our driveway unusable ... but I cannot seem to find a way to attach it to this message :(

We had that problem last year. Complete opposite this year. As they say...., One extreme follows another...

/ Drought Stricken Pasture Renovation options??? #10  
We had that problem last year. Complete opposite this year. As they say...., One extreme follows another...

Well, that is why things always "average out".

I agree that, given a chance and some rain, it may come back. If possible, restrict the grazing so that the new grass has a chance to develop. As already mentioned, you local ag agent should give you some advice.

Ken