repairing shed floor

/ repairing shed floor #1  

bigballer

Platinum Member
PNW - North Central bWashington - The Evergreen St
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400
Old shed floor is rotting out and I'm looking for a fix to seal it up. Was thinking of cutting the floor back and filling with gravel before laying some plywood down does this seem like a good plan?

ForumRunner_20120901_122344.png

ForumRunner_20120901_122409.png

/ repairing shed floor #2  
Looks like it's resting directly on the ground, if it's small enough maybe you could lift it and slide some treated 4x4s underneath so they're the only thing in contact with the ground. Then put the new flooring down across 4x4s. Even treated lumber won't perform real well there because you're right at the surface of the soil which is the harshest spot for lumber.

/ repairing shed floor #3  
I would think if you could get the shed lifted onto some PT wood and get some gravel under it so nothing is in direct contact with dirt you would be ahead of the game. Once lifted you might be able to use some brackets to place floor joists then cover with the material of your choice. Adjust the center spacing of your joists depending on your flooring material and weight load of the contents.

/ repairing shed floor #4  
looks like a rodent built/dug under it and left wood in contact with dirt. Like others said need to get it up in air off damp dirt... then fix using PT or gravel and PT or pour concrete under/inside it;)

/ repairing shed floor #5  
Hmm- how big is the shed? how much space between floor and ground? maybe you would be better off jacking it up and replace floor completely unless the wood joists are in good shape. how long are you expecting to keep shed? if it only for 2-5 more years, Id just throw down OSB sheet and call it good for the day.

/ repairing shed floor
Its 12x12 the other half is a chicken coop but they are going to be moved next summer. At that point I need to decide what to do with it. My guess is its 15 yrs old and underneath is a haven for rodents. There is a joist at the front and the middle but I couldn't find anything along the back wall which I replaced a couple years ago. This is also the wall where the pics were taken. It does sag a little in the back as expected given the joists seems to be nonexistent. I put a new roof on it last year and fresh paint this year but the floor as you can see needs serious attention. I'd like to store my heating pellets in it over the winter and go from there. I'm thinking quick fix now and next spring raise it and build up. Given time and money I'd tear it down and put up a 12x24 garden shed which couple also house my ATV and riding mower..