Having a few trees dropped today. (pics)

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I met my match with these 3 pines in my yard. There are power lines on 3 of the 4 sides and a house on the other. I figured I'd better be smart and call in the pros before I get stupid and have one of those "hold my beer, watch this" moments.

Within the hour the tree guys should be here with their 65' bucket truck and I'll try taking pics and posting with my cell phone an the TBN app, hope this works.

Here are the 3 trees that will be taken down. I doubt you can see the wires but right in front they are about 18' away, behind they are about 9' away, to the left they are 25'-30' away from the main power lines and transformer along the road. To the right is a fence and home about 15' and 40' respectively.

Attachments

• image-290480006.jpg
    image-290480006.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 637
  • image-165871739.jpg
    image-165871739.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 542
   / Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #2  
I had a huge Sugar Maple (nearly 4' diameter) taken down by a tree service a couple years ago. I sought a few bids by different services (all legitimate services with insurance) and made it clear all they were doing was getting it on the ground. I did all clean-up, had the stump ground by someone else, and made firewood out of the tree for my own use. Ended up having it done by a two man crew using a bucket truck, took them about five hours. I paid about $400, and thought that was cheap. Frankly, the owner didn't make much profit at the end of the day, and I was happy I got it done well within my budget.

P.S. I bought them pizza of their choice for lunch, along with whatever they wanted to drink.

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #3  
I think you made a wise decision. Better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes.

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics)
Well, sounds like it won't be within the hour. Supposedly they're truck is broke down and they're not sure if they'll make it today or not.

I understand equipment breaks but it's still slightly aggravating!

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #5  
Man, I was all excited too. Love watching other peoples projects unfold. Its almost as much fun as spending other people's money!

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #6  
Around here the power company will have someone drop trees that close to their lines for free.

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #7  
A good climber can have those down in a couple of hours and probably cut up.. Get a good camera out there and take some pictures when they show up. A bucket truck should go even quicker

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #8  
I figured I'd better be smart and call in the pros before I get stupid and have one of those "hold my beer, watch this" moments.

Big trees, power lines, and a home are a bad combo. You made a prudent choice! :thumbsup:

/ Having a few trees dropped today. (pics)
It's been close to a year since I posted this thread. The guys never ended up showing up, and then I had to go away for a while with work and sort of dropped the ball on having these trees down. I contacted the same people (as well as 2 others for quotes) and after hearing back from them they agreed to drop the trees (again) for the same price.

We settled on just having them cut the trees down and get them on the ground. I'll chip the limbs and hopefully saw up some timbers on the mill with whatever straight sections I can get out of them, as well as grind down the stumps.

We're aiming for the first week of August, hopefully this time they show up when they say they will. :D I think I'll use Ductape's idea and buy them pizza and drinks for lunch. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Having a few trees dropped today. (pics) #10  
Ended up having it done by a two man crew using a bucket truck, took them about five hours. I paid about $400, and thought that was cheap.

That's very cheap, unless they were just slow, 5 hours in the bucket with another guy roping should cost more than double, close to triple that price.

Show us the lumber you cut. :)