Giant Round Bale Feeder!!!

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
So I have some horses that I feed round bales too. My FIL built a single bale feeder for them and the dam thing drives me nuts. It only holds one round bale at a time and I have to get out of the tractor several times to put one bale out. (open the pasture, drive in, close the gate, drive to the feeder, open the feeder door, put the bale in, close the feeder door then get outta the pasture. This wouldn't be such a big deal except I have to do this every four days. So being the lazy engineer that I am I decided I had had enough. I bummed some left over materials from the guys at work 8" high pressure steel pipe and some 2 3/8" tubing. The engineering has been awhile in the making put the two main requirements were to be able to move it around so the horses weren't always standing in the mud. The other requirement was to be able to put more hay out at a time without having to open and close the dam door on the feeder. Again doesnt sound like a big deal but the bales rarely go in easy and the whole shack leans to its extremely hard getting a square dooor back in an oblong hole.

SO attached are the pictures of the construction for your enjoyment! Im going to put sheet metal on the roof to help keep some rain off the hay, so its like 90% done right now. I welcome any comments or suggestions. For a frame of reference the skids are approxmately 23' long. The short posts are 5' high and the tall posts are 7' high.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 677
  • 9-2-12 (1).jpg
    9-2-12 (1).jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 9-2-12 (2).jpg
    9-2-12 (2).jpg
    642 KB · Views: 294
  • 9-2-12 (3).jpg
    9-2-12 (3).jpg
    467 KB · Views: 354
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    593.4 KB · Views: 371
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 721
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 222
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 709
   / Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #2  
So after the wife wiped the drool off, she wants to know, will you only allow the horses access to 1 bale at a time or will they be able to chew on all four at the same time....

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!!
Well actually, I sort of figured it out for 4X4 round bales and I should be able to put 5 in at a time, but they will have access to all of them at once. I was trying to make it simple and straight forward this time. I might get a little more creative in the future. My buddy had a good idea about using a tractor trailer and parking it on an incline to make it like the pop can fridge dispensers. lol Build a self dispensing hay bale feeder almost. That was quite a bit more challenging than I wanted to take on.

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #4  
How does this work, you put the feeder in some area where the horses have access during certain periods of the day? If we left that much hay out all the time our horses would turn into blimps.

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #5  
Nice pictures

How does this work, you put the feeder in some area where the horses have access during certain periods of the day? If we left that much hay out all the time our horses would turn into blimps.

Well they are out in a pasture so we put the hay out to supplement the grass. Its more of a they can eat it if they want to kind of thing versus having a feeding time. Horses would naturally graze all day, we just try and make sure they always have ruffage to munch on.

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #7  
Well they are out in a pasture so we put the hay out to supplement the grass. Its more of a they can eat it if they want to kind of thing versus having a feeding time. Horses would naturally graze all day, we just try and make sure they always have ruffage to munch on.

Yep, doesn't matter if it's one bale or ten, they're still going to eat. My wife took a look at your feeder and gave me that "you better get busy" look. Great idea for winter feeding!

Can you get in it with the tractor to clean it out? Edit: Doesn't look like it.

Yep, doesn't matter if it's one bale or ten, they're still going to eat. My wife took a look at your feeder and gave me that "you better get busy" look. Great idea for winter feeding!

Can you get in it with the tractor to clean it out? Edit: Doesn't look like it.

Absolutely true about the eating. Thats what horses do though. They eat and fertilize! Our theory is atleast if they have enough to eat, they will be happier and healthier. I def cannot get my tractor inside to clean it. The cab on the JD might get in the way a bit. I did leave some 1.5" gaps in the boards to let the dust and rocks as well as the water pass right through. I could't figure out how to completely get away with not cleaning it out while still keeping the hay inside and the horses outside. Hopefully, if there is to much build up underneath, or if the horses tear up the pasture to much, I can use the hooks I welded onto the pipe skids to drag it to a new spot.

I'll keep you guys posted on how it works. I'm going to get the tin for the roof after work today and hopefully put it on tonight or tomorrow. This is my first feeder I have ever built so I'm sure its going to be a learning experience. I do have some more material to build 2 or possibly 3 more once I iron out the kinks.

/ Giant Round Bale Feeder!!! #9  
You state that you built it for the 5' bales. So I guess you have the bale on a spear and pass it through the front side (tall side), then drop it enough to just pull the spear out and the bale drops to the floor. Is that correct? Originally I had in mind that it was the larger bales and I couldn't see how you would get those in there. I figured you would have to push them in from the end but both ends have a welded bar across them so I wasn't understanding the load in process.

You state that you built it for the 5' bales. So I guess you have the bale on a spear and pass it through the front side (tall side), then drop it enough to just pull the spear out and the bale drops to the floor. Is that correct? Originally I had in mind that it was the larger bales and I couldn't see how you would get those in there. I figured you would have to push them in from the end but both ends have a welded bar across them so I wasn't understanding the load in process.

You nailed it right on the head. I didn't have anything to go off of so I sort of designed it as I went. The opening on the front is over 5' so a bale should pass through easily. Good catch with the rail running around, it serves a dual purpose. Keeping the horses out (about chest level) and pulling the bales off the spear if needed. I thought about loading from the ends and pushing the bales in towards the center, but I couldn't figure out how to keep the bales from rolling up on their end. I really wanted to be able to man handle the bales and jam them in if need be, thats why everything is built so heavy. We have small wooden feeders now with a door on them, and its a fight everytime to coax a odd shaped bale into the opening that is just big enough. The other problem with the smalls ones is I can't use the strength of the tractor to my advantage. Meaning I can't shove the bale in, I have to finess it. Granted that makes me a better operator, but it sure aggravates me trying to wiggle a bale in just right.

The slanted roof serves a dual purpose as well. It gives me a wider opening to put the bales in, but it also lets the water drain off the roof better. I may have made a mistake in the way I laid things out though. I'm going to run my tin length wise across the roof so I dont have to buy as many pieces. I can lay two down, overlap them and I'll pretty much have a one seam roof. Granted the ridges will be running the wrong way, but I think the slope will be steep enough, and the hill it will sit on will add to the pitch that It should shed snow and water well.