Water tranfer tank -- horses

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #1  

timberland

Tractor
kubota L3400
Okay, I am looking for some kind of 20-25 gallon water tank that I can use to haul water for 2 horses daily. Currently we are filling a cooler with water, driving down the road, tie up horses, open gate, drive in and back up to horse water container, open drain plug on cooler and let it drain from tailgate to container. Have to slide cooler back more as water level drops. You get the picture I think.

How bout a water tank w/ 12 volt DC pump with long 3/8 or 1/2 inch hose. Would not have to mess with going thru the gate.

Anybody ?

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #2  
;)? would moving water container up to / or near front gate be easier than all that work of going in pen ??? And what about a 30 or 50 gal. plastic barrel with a spicket on it , or a water tank from northern tool or agri-supply a little more expensive. Or look on craigs list for a tank . :2cents:

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #4  
You could put a tank with removeable lid on a small cheap trailer, then leave the trailer there and take the lid off the tank. If you have two of those you can do a swap once a day. I bought some barrels from a local factory that made salsa, they got their bulk food products in ~30gal black plastic barrels with removeable tops. When I was doing construction on the horse barn we moved them to the other side of the paddock. I put that barrel on a cheap little trailer I had for dirt bikes and moved that back and forth once a day. The barrel was a little too deep, they could only drink it down about half way, but if you could find a tank that's shorter with a smaller diameter that would work better.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #5  
i would look also on Craig list they have those tanks in tube baskets,just make sure they had food grade liquid in there.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #6  
You could use a variation of how I hauled water to my corn patch this summer. Lay barrel down on a carry-all, or in you FEL bucket, put a PVC gate valve in lower bung of barrel and fill it through the upper bung. Then you can raise it higher than the water tank, open the gate and let it run.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #7  
Or go big time.
Two food grade IBC totes, one at the destination, one in the back of the truck. Either siphon or 12 V pump. Take an empty one (A) to the destination, get it blocked up and something to transfer the water to whatever the horses drink out of.
Fill the other (B), in the back of the truck. Drive it up to the destination and either siphon or pump it into A.

They hold 250 to 300+ gallons.

8x6SAM_0422.jpg

To haul 25 gallons at a time gives a LOT of time devoted to hauling.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #8  
I took one of the grey heavy duty rubbermaid 50 gallon trash cans, screwed a plywood lid on with a hose-sized hole in top for filling and a PVC valve with a garden hose connector on bottom for draining. We have used it to water horses and even move water for a while when our well failed. Cheap, quick, easy and really tough.

I like it because from the back of the pickup it has enough pressure at ground level to empty pretty fast.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #9  
My local feed store sells plastic 55 gallon drums for 8 dollars. Really easy to put a hose spigot in the bottom. Metal barrels for 12 but the lid is extra. They either had apple juice concentrate or bleach in them before so a good wash n rinse and they are good to go.

/ Water tranfer tank -- horses #10  
Check out Ace Rotomold. I bought a 35 gallon tank with legs for $70 from my local farm supply store. They work great!