My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging

/ My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging #21  
I'm in East TN, our blackberries season was back in June. Do you have blackberries now?

Steep slope mowing with the loader frame on, do you mow straight up/down?

/ My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging #22  
DT86 said:
A nice mid day snack. I probably mowed a million more just like these.

What kind of berries are these? Invasive I assume?

/ My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging
DT86 obviously knows what he is doing but I will bet he will admit that he has a degree of pucker factor going up that hill and pays full attention to what he is doing while going up....Ya think ? LOL

I have been doing it awhile. Do I know what I'm doing? Maybe. Yes I pay attention to everything, the obstacles in front of me, beside me (for the next pass), and about ten other things.

As for pucker factor, yes sometimes. :cool:

Also, did you purposely park the tractor on the downslope in front of the tree? If not, good call anyway. I never trust my brakes, and when parked, the implements are always down.

Well I parked in the shade to keep the cab cool while I gorged on berries but I ended up putting the tire against the tree to keep it there! I love the M9540's since they have the park gear. Much more dependable than a park brake.

I'm in East TN, our blackberries season was back in June. Do you have blackberries now?

Steep slope mowing with the loader frame on, do you mow straight up/down?

No those pics were from mid July. I've been too busy to post until now.

We never take the loaders off of any of the tractor(s). (see signature) I like the added weight to keep the front end down anyway. It all depends on the lay of the land as to which way I go. The big hill I went mostly straight up it.

What kind of berries are these? Invasive I assume?

They are Blackberries, not to be confused with Black Raspberries. They are a native plant that thrives in poor or unattended soil.

While reading another thread about bush hogs i figured I'd update this one.

I bought a used 15' Rhino for myself at the end of the year. It came with new blades and stump jumpers, the old stump jumpers were cracked but the old blades looked fine to me.

I've mowed about 35 acres so far, 10 of which were overgrown and rough as a cob. Here are a few pictures of the mower and an old grown up pond area I mowed.

image-3912736844.jpg image-1671101334.jpg image-575312669.jpg image-964855635.jpg image-1605311390.jpg image-3815213244.jpg image-206622179.jpg

Last edited:
   / My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging #25  
Great pics. I just bought a 172 Rhino. Used it on a few acres yesterday. I think you posted in the thread I had when I was cutter shopping. Bushogging has been my favorites since I was playing with Ertl toys. I'm thinkin of doing some work on the side this year if I have time.

Great pics. I just bought a 172 Rhino. Used it on a few acres yesterday. I think you posted in the thread I had when I was cutter shopping. Bushogging has been my favorites since I was playing with Ertl toys. I'm thinkin of doing some work on the side this year if I have time.

Thanks. I'm seriously thinking about getting a GoPro camera to put in/on the tractors this summer for time lapse shots of bush hogging and hay making.

I'm sure the Rhino will provide you years of service. No more than I've used mine I can tell its exactly what I expected.

The reason I like bush hogging is that at the end of the day you don't have to look hard to see the vast improvements you've made.

/ My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging #27  
Hi DT86 Was just checking out your pictures of bush hogging . Looks good ,u and I are alike I live in southwestern Pa. and my farm looks alot like your pictures. I might have to say that mine has alot of slips etc.... but just as steep. I like u mow it all, up and down over (so steep I cant get back up , I have to dog leg it to the top agin for next pass) a little extra time but worth it to me. I makes it all look better and like u I leave my FEL on for added weight and to grub once in a while. I pull a John Deere HX10, and a Woods BB840 3pth. I like both models and I like u mow very heavy filth. THe tractor JOHN DEERE 5093e limited full cab etc..... THe filth I mow is at times higher then the cab up to 4" diameter, sometimes bigger (6"??) or so. I also like u enjoy bush hogging because u can see where youve been and , I get away from everything else thats a PIA to me!.I myself do custom work bush hogging once in awhile but every one around these parts has the re own bush hog etc..... or they dont care if there property is cleaned up, or they wont pay the $$$$$$ per/HR I charge. ($ 60.00) they say too much I say ok! get out your lawn mower, chain saw, what ever and have at it! These tractors and Machines that guys like us own cost $$$$$$$ to operate ,and maintain , and some of the people Ive dealt with have high shelf ideas and low shelf wallets.LOL! Take Care jdtractor

/ My Favorite Pastime: Bush Hogging #28  
Here's one the day after I bought a used woods 20'IMG00208.jpg