25 kW Solar power project in Iowa.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #121  
If I counted right, one array has 30 panels and the other has 33. Why the difference? or was my count off :confused3:

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa.
If I counted right, one array has 30 panels and the other has 33. Why the difference? or was my count off :confused3:

Actually there is third array also with 33 panels under construction being completed before year end unless the weather gets too bad. If I tell you why I did that my wife would laugh at me. I din't want it sticks to possible future airplane runway. The longer arrays are ofset several feet west so they can be longer.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #123  
Why thank you. We only use ceiling fans to augment air movement, but find that really only necessary when we have a lot of people. We do have propane fireplaces to take the chill off at times but mostly ambiance.

Amazing how costs have come down since I started my system (2006). Now I could get twice the wattage for 1/3 the cost for panels. Batteries may cost more. I'm very happy with my system.

Look for to seeing your progress and hearing how it works.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

We finished the last array today. I still have to connect all cables to the breaker box and connect it to the grid. That is few more hours of work I will do tomorrow.
Here is a summary of the project:
96 Canadian Solar 250W panels.
96 Enphase inverters. All divided into 9 center connected strings because of voltage rise is a big issue here.
Expected peak AC power about 21 kW. Expected yearly production about 32000 kWh or 88 kWh/day.
All panels are mounted on Ironridge rails supported by wood structure anchored by 52 reinforced concrete piers.
It took about 4 weeks of work of two people (my wife and I) to complete. Two weeks of drilling holes and making concrete piers and two weeks of building the racking and assembly of the system.

After adding all bills together it all cost $55348.01 or 2.31/W DC before tax rebate. Hopefully we get federal tax rebate of $16604.40 plus $3000 Iowa tax rebate.
Total cost after rebates $35743.607 or $1.49/W DC. We overshot original budget by about $2200 underestimating cost of some electrical gear and especially fees imposed by the local electrical coop.
I will post pics tomorrow.

Solar system 2012 007.jpg
Drilling holes for concrete footing. Week one.
IMGP0105.jpg
Making footings. Week one and two.
Solar system 2012 018.jpg
Footings for one array. End of week two
DSCN2852.jpg.
Building first array. Week three.
DSCN2828.jpg
Ditching for the main cable. Week three.
IMGP0124.jpg
Last batch of panels on improvised forklift.
IMGP0135.jpg
All done. Week four.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #126  
Congrats!! Must be exciting seeing all the hard work pay off.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #127  
Very impressive. Wind, solar, hydroelectric, wave energy... we need it all.
I'd sure like to hook up my all electric house to your array...cord might be a bit long.

And since you have good wind in your area, next step is to get a windmill in there. But for no moving parts, you can't get much better than solar.
Some think solar unattractive, but at the end of a big field,
is the corn going to complain? I wonder if passing airplanes will get "flashed" on a sunny day.

I hope this works out well for you long term. In the short term, thanks for doing your part.

It is all done. Just missing one grounding clamp and Enphase cable to one panel (I think that when they measured the cable the guy cut it on wrong side of the connector). The chunk of the cable with the connector and the coupler should arrive in mail in few days.
I was thinking about wind for some time but found the wind generators way too expensive and requiring maintenance 120 ft high. At the cost of PV panels wind is dead on arival.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #129  
Thanks for documenting all this, I'm bookmarking this thread for when I do mine.

/ 25 kW Solar power project in Iowa. #130  
It is all done
Well, you're just about 1000 miles from me. Wonder what size extension cord I need...:licking: