Cable logging ??

/ Cable logging ?? #1  

backintheday

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3510H
Hi all,
I live in western WY where we have endless beetle kill, I'm building a new house I plan to heat with wood. I have plenty of dead trees to harvest 12 miles away. The forrest service says you can go 300' from a trail but you can't leave ruts from skidding. My idea is to use a skidder/ winch setup, hang a cable system from the trees then using the winch drag the logs in, front of the log in the air, if that is clear enough. Similar to what the pros do but know where near as heavy duty. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to do this? My tractor is a Branson 35 horse. The trees are all dry so they don't weigh that much.
Any input is welcome, a different approach, tools, anything.....

Thanks much

/ Cable logging ?? #2  
Build a mini.yarder and pull them on an aerial cable system. When I get home I can send you a phone number for the US Forest Service in Missoula. They have free plans available. Google Bitterroot mini yarder. Look at the FS pdf and there will be a phone number there.

/ Cable logging ??
Mini yarder, now you got me thinking, I could fab up something that is part of a PTO winch, maybe build a 10' tall boom with a couple pulleys, my mind is working I won't be able to sleep much tonight.

Good idea, thanks alot.

/ Cable logging ?? #5  
When the forest service says "you can't leave ruts from skidding", do they mean from the butt end of the load being skidded across the ground, or from the wheel tracks of the skidder itself (which can often be much, much worse) ?

How is your soil/moisture in the proposed logging area? If it is nice an dry, I don't see why you could just skid logs the old fashioned way; it shouldn't leave horrible ruts. Will it disturb the soil somewhat? sure, but "ruts" sounds like a somewhat subjective term. Water crossings are where the real restrictions come into play.

/ Cable logging ?? #6  
Depending how flexable the trees are, just get the but end up off the ground a bit and let the tail drag the dirt smooth. I wonder if you could set the tail end in a wheeled cradled of some sorts and then lift and drag the butt end.

/ Cable logging ?? #8  
If you are simply using the logs for firewood I wonder if it would not be easier to just cut it into firewood lengths and haul those in the bucket and a rear carryall. I have a similar situation (i.e. I don't want to rut up my own trails) and find cutting to length in the bush easiest. I see you have pallet forks, so another alternative might be to leave the logs in lengths manageable for them.

A long cable/rope and snatch block are good tools for skidding logs short distances for better access.

Does your forestry service allow you to remove full length logs? The reason I ask is because here in BC you aren't allowed to remove logs over a certain length (I think around 5') without a permit. I imagine that is to prevent illegal logging. We can only remove dead trees and not "apartment" trees.

Have fun and work safe.

Cheers