New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #1  

bobm6996

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart
Going to be prepping ground soon that will be used for pasture, horses and feed cattle. Working the ground now to get it ready, but would like to get suggestions on what type of seed should be put down. Can it also be used for hay or only for grazing?

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #2  
Going to be prepping ground soon that will be used for pasture, horses and feed cattle. Working the ground now to get it ready, but would like to get suggestions on what type of seed should be put down. Can it also be used for hay or only for grazing?

My grandfather years ago contracted a guy to come in on our farm and hydro seed our pasture. The guy brought a big truck in with a water cannon on top. He could shoot that stuff anywhere's. The hydro seed reminds you of seed laced with Miracle Grow. We did a winter rye, red & white clover mix. The rye won't last long, maybe a season or two, but the clover has remained strong for a long time. We have on occasion limed our soil, but really has not been needed since the pH is on the dot for what the clover likes.

We have had good results with the clover for pasture and hay cutting.

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #3  

How serious are you on the horses? They are different animals, and some horse people get very picky about their eats.

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #4  
We use a mix called "permanent pasture", 35% timothy, 30% meadow fescue, 25% tall fescue, and 10% white clover.

Sean

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #5  
Many of the local feed mills, seed company's, etc. have a regular horse pasture mix. You could probably also check with your State University Agricultural extension office, and they will more than likely have a preferred equine pasture mix ratio, for your area. I used a pasture mix for my hayfield, and occasionally add some Timothy every couple of years.

I have previously prepped my field in late fall, then frost seeded in late Feb. or early March with excellent results. This year I'm going to try fall seeding with a used slit seeder I bought last year. Just waiting to get the last cutting of hay off to do that. Been in a drought here most of the summer, now it wants to rain every few days.

Hope you did a soil test. Well worth the $15 or so dollars to see what you need, for optimum pasture/haylage.

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #6  
20 pounds of orchard grass,fescue and 3 pounds white clover per acre.

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing
Thanks to all for the feedback, this gives me a starting point. Plan to get the soil test and then go from there. Agree and understand that some are very picky about the horse pasture and hay.

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #8  
Orchard grass, endophite free fescue, legume mix. Ken Sweet

/ New Pasture - What Type Seed for Horse and Cattle Grazing #9  
Orchard grass, endophite free fescue, legume mix. Ken Sweet

Any good farm supply store will have a "Pasture Mix" with these grasses. Maybe even two, one for cattle and one a little different for horses.