Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    kubota L3800

Default Re: French Drain - River Rock or Crushed Stone

I saw this stuff at the construction supply place we go to a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good idea.
    I thought when i saw it that it would be perfect for a diy type project.
    It looked like this stuff.
    http://www.ndspro.com/images/stories...tion-guide.pdf

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

You can also line the trench to keep silt out of the stone and get a longer life. I always use crushed washed stone. That sounds like a really wide trench, any reason to make it so wide? I usually do 1' x3' which is good because my bh bucket is 1 foot and i have less stone to buy and dirt to move.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Bobcat CT235, Kubota BX23 TLB & RTV 900

I used 1 1/4 crushed rock, the same rock used for septic system leach fields. works great.
    F350 6.4 Dually, PJ 14K 20', PJ 3.5K

Tractor
    Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X

A lot of good opinions here. My two cents, I would go with 3/4"-1" crushed stone as if my memory is right, that size stone holds the most water per cu. ft. Bed the pipe in 3", put a foot or so on top, and then cover before backfill with filter fabric, or 15# felt (tar paper) or as someone suggested, an old time solution-good layer of cut hay. This plus a buck eighty will get you a medium coffee at dunkin donuts or for you Mainers, this plus 99 cents will get you the same coffee at Cumbies!

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    2" to 3" is the size of the stone (it is called b3 in this area). I plan on filling the entire trench with stone.
    My mistake, I figured I had to be missing something.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Quote Originally Posted by tractchores View Post
    You can also line the trench to keep silt out of the stone and get a longer life. I always use crushed washed stone. That sounds like a really wide trench, any reason to make it so wide? I usually do 1' x3' which is good because my bh bucket is 1 foot and i have less stone to buy and dirt to move.
    I think you need to get your bifocals adjusted. His post #1 says 12 inches wide not twelve feet.
    The B2 stone, 2-3" should work great as long as they have run it over a screen to shake out everything smaller then 1/4 inch. I'm surprised he can get that cheap.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    I think you need to get your bifocals adjusted. His post #1 says 12 inches wide not twelve feet.
    The B2 stone, 2-3" should work great as long as they have run it over a screen to shake out everything smaller then 1/4 inch. I'm surprised he can get that cheap.
    Thought he said 3' see that it's 1' it now... 12' would be one heck of a french drain!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Gravely 16-G

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    It is that cheap & that is the delivered price (triax or large tandem axle truck). The stone is soft, but for my purposes, it should hold up fine. There is a local quarry which is why it is so cheap.
    John Deere 4500 PowrReverser 4X4 460 FEL & 48 Backhoe
    Kubota B9200 Gear 4X4 FEL
    5' Box Blade, 5' Scrapper Blade, PHD

Tractor
    Jinma 284

I've put in a few and had done mine as follows.

Dug trench back hoe bucket wide, in my case that is about 18" after the sides pull in a bit.
    This was dug about 45 or so feet long leading away from the barn corners started out about 24 ~ 30" deep and ended about 5' deep out at the ends.
    I had a bunch of broken or chipped cement blocks that I laid out into the bottom of the trench out in the deep area. I have creek that has a lot of sand stone shale type crushed type run in it. it is seasonal and dry much of the year so I used the larger flat rock to lay out on top of several courses of the block tossed in haphazardly.

I then dropped in a layer of the inexpensive landscape fabric and more crushed smaller stream crusher run sandstone with the pipe sleeved on into the trench and tossed in a cover of the creek run and added a 2nd layer of the fabric and stone & sand mix up with a last layer of fabric and dirt/ seeded grass and has worked like a champ for 5 ~8 or so years now.

cost was mostly fuel w a bit for the fabric so time was a weekend work give or take.

The cement blocks have a lot of dead open space to fill w water so it can absorb a LOT rather quickly. 4'down at my place is a very permeable layer of glacial rock about 6" deep so that helps and keeps it draining quick.

Mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast