Enhancing a tree platform

/ Enhancing a tree platform #21  
Have you seen any deer out of it since rifle season started Sat. Or have you go to hunt? Nice job by the way. LUTT

/ Enhancing a tree platform
Have you seen any deer out of it since rifle season started Sat. Or have you go to hunt? Nice job by the way. LUTT

Thanks. No deer sighted on Sat afternoon or Sunday morning, but there is a fresh rub on a trail that leads down a ridge to the meadow. I also heard multiple deer running nearby on the previous weekend, when the roof first went up.

I'll give the critters a few days to get used to the big green treehouse and then try again...

By the way, Sat was windy and 75 degrees F, while Sunday it rained cats and dogs as the temperature dropped. The tarps held up fine in both conditions.

001.jpg
"Aye, there's the rub."

Last edited:
   / Enhancing a tree platform #23  
Glad to here the tarps held up, I know down at home it rained cats and dogs also. I hope you enjoy!

Finally got an "after" shot of the completed platform enhancement with tarp covering:
008.jpg
Here is the view from inside, with viewing and shooting slits:
009.jpg
...and a view of the builder at a viewing slit:
011.jpg

In three hours on two mornings, no deer passed the stand. I still-hunted during the afternoon with no luck either. Next year I may sow some feed corn in the meadow to give deer a reason to visit.

Glad to here the tarps held up, I know down at home it rained cats and dogs also. I hope you enjoy!

It has been feast or famine with rain for us. This past weekend has been fine with calm winds, cloudless skies and 65 F daily high temperatures. My guess is that it is similar where you are. Terrible weather for deer hunting, though, the critters can sense us a mile away.

/ Enhancing a tree platform #26  
Thanks for the pictures

/ Enhancing a tree platform #28  
Several observations, but please note I am not trying to be critical. I know you put a lot of time into this stand and I applaud your workmanship.

First, in my experience, that tarp is not going to last any time at all before it falls apart due to solar exposure. When this happens, you might want to consider a more permanent roof and siding solution.

Second, in Missouri you cannot hunt over scattered corn but you CAN hunt over growing corn or other crops or a mineral lick. Think food plot in your meadow.

Good luck in muzzleloading (now alternative methods) season.

What county is your land in?

The property is in Iron County, next to the Bell Mountain Wilderness:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5123000.pdf

The tarp is a temporary measure that I expect will last about one year. I have a second tarp to replace it, to get another year of service, but the long term plan is to put up a plywood roof and walls.

I know the rules about hunting over bait, so there is no feeder or strewn corn in the meadow, but next spring I may turn part of it into a food plot. Deer move through the meadow all the time on their way to the creek, and there are also feral pigs that have evidently rooted around. I'll get another chance at the deer next weekend, thanks for the good wishes.