I Beam for structural support

/ I Beam for structural support
I'll accept your answer in full, LD.

The OP needs to look downward too. He has taken four point loads down to two. Are the existing foundations strong enough? Are they even on foundations? He mentioned that the existing building is a pole barn. They do some weird things with those sometimes, including burying ground contact posts with no concrete foundation

My plan was to set an additional pole/beam under the lateral beam at each side of beam to redistribute some of the load and weld brackets on the beam to secure to pole barn structure. Then install 4 to 6 vertical supports to support the ridge. I could not tell you how the structure was built as it was built before I purchased the property. I am going to have a slab poured in the building, currently it has a dirt floor. thanks

/ I Beam for structural support #35  
A W10x12 beam would have the following dimensions

depth - 9-7/8"
web thickness - 3/16"
flange width - 4"
flange thickness - 3/16"
weight 17.858 Kg/M or 12.11Lb/Ft

Seems kinda light for the task.

/ I Beam for structural support #37  
My plan was to set an additional pole/beam under the lateral beam at each side of beam to redistribute some of the load and weld brackets on the beam to secure to pole barn structure. Then install 4 to 6 vertical supports to support the ridge. I could not tell you how the structure was built as it was built before I purchased the property. I am going to have a slab poured in the building, currently it has a dirt floor. thanks

It may pay to do some exploritory digging and find out what's under those poles. I'm thinking you'll need to put footings in for each new column and allow them to cure before you load them with the weight of the roof let alone something hanging off a hoist.

/ I Beam for structural support #38  
Just throwing this out there for a comparison. I have an i-beam supporting the second floor of my garage/ shop. It's 32' but has a 4"x4" post a couple of inches in on each end. I had a choice of using a w18x 55 or w21x50. The roof is trusses so the only weight is the load from the second floor. I went with the w21 since it was cheaper, had less deflection under the same load, and the loss of 3" under the beam wasn't an issue for me. I don't remember what weight was used for a floor load.

If you get it wrong then you could be starting all over again (unless you are under it when it fails). If you don't want to deal with an engineer then I oversize it by quite a bit and deal with getting it into place. I was able to use my backhoe but if I couldn't then I was going to use staging on each end and jacks and blocking to get it into place.

/ I Beam for structural support #39  
32'X W18X50# ? That must have taken at least two of you to put it up

/ I Beam for structural support
It may pay to do some exploritory digging and find out what's under those poles. I'm thinking you'll need to put footings in for each new column and allow them to cure before you load them with the weight of the roof let alone something hanging off a hoist.

thanks for the suggestion I will probably dig it up just to know how its supported... Im thinkin the additional columns and footings would be more than satisfactory for the ridge support but never hurts to be aware. I definitely agree with numerous posts that the 10" 12lbs beam seems way to weak for my application... I have a family member(experienced in commercial construction) I talked to about my plan and he said that a 16" 40lb beam should be more than adequate...now to find out what this I beam will set me back. I bet it aint to cheap!! Might Price the 18" 50lb to see if its worth the difference in price to have more peace of mind