I Beam for structural support

/ I Beam for structural support #1  

shibaura_4043

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 4341 Cab, Shibaura 4043
Hello, Iam looking for a couple opinions... I am planning to upgrade my exsisting pole barn to a shop/workspace, I plan on pouring a slab in the barn (30X30) and I would like to replace the two middle poles that support the ridge with an I beam acoss the barn at 12' high with supports from the I beam to support the ridge. What size I beam would you guys recommend? Is this doable? whats the best way to brace the beam and tie into the building. I would also like to use this beam for an electric hoist that travels the length of the beam. The local steel shop recommended I use 10" 12lb I beam for the 30' free span. Anyone have a clue how much this beam will weigh? Lastly anyone have any suggestions on what to add to the pole barn before I have the slab poured.... Im considering a full bath... is it worth the extra effort and $$? Thanks

/ I Beam for structural support #2  
Can't help with the beam.
But for me the full bath would be a marriage saver, I work in sewer maintenance.

E/S

/ I Beam for structural support #3  
The 12lb would usually refer to it's weight by foot so 360 lbs but that doesn't sound near heavy enough for that span to me. Perhaps they/you missed a number? For 10" wide flange, my supplier offers 22, 26 or 33 lbs/ft. If it weren't for the hoist, I'd convert the existing rafters to trusses by adding webbing and you wouldn't need the beam at all.

/ I Beam for structural support #4  
I did a 32' x 12" I beam to support a deck(supported at each end only). I don't think I would go a 10" since the 12" still has some bounce to it when walking on it. My DK40SE lifted it 11' to set it with no problem so I am guessing around 1800-2000 lbs.

/ I Beam for structural support #5  
I believe I beam is rated by how much it weighs per foot. So, if yours is called 12lb, and it's 30 feet long, it would weigh 360 lbs.

However, that seems very light for an I beam that would be used for a traveling lift. I have some 12" H beam that is called 65 lb. That's more like it. But you didn't say what you want to lift. I'm sure there are tables you could use to match your proposed load to a 30' span.

Much more info needed to know the load from the roof and the load from the lift, combined. You might also consider posts that are only 10' apart to significantly increase the strength by reducing the span.

For a full span, holding the roof up and some engine lifting, you might want some 24" I beam with a 3/8 wall. Just guessing. Look it up after making a couple of calcs. There's a lot more to it than simple guessing, and I'm not qualified to do that for you.

Last edited:
   / I Beam for structural support
I hear ya... I drove a jet truck for a municipality for 4 years or so...dont miss the smell of a stopped up main one bit!!!:(

I believe I beam is rated by how much it weighs per foot. So, if yours is called 12lb, and it's 30 feet long, it would weigh 360 lbs.

Thats what I thought too... but a 10" beam 30' long has to weigh more than 360lbs. Plus the steel yard said it could handle the 30' free span and the electric hoist load.... the hoist will mainly be for engine pulling but Im sure I'll come up with other useful ideas.

Maybe I misunderstood him... I was on my cell phone... I call tm to verify the lbs.

/ I Beam for structural support #9  
Apparently they quoted you a M12x11.8 beam. This is kind of special lightweight beam. It is only 11.8 lbs/ft because the web material is only 3/16" thick and the flanges are only 3 inches wide. I don't have my beam tables with me and don't feel like doing the calcs, but I would hesitate to use a 30 foot long beam with this light of webs without some kind of lateral bracing to limit buckling and deflection. My off hand guess is that you should look at a W12 beam with about twice that weight, say a 19 or 22. This would have a wider and thicker flange. Of course, the 3 inch flange might be best for the trolley, but using a beam as a structural member should require a wider flange.

/ I Beam for structural support #10  
Just re-read and realized you said a 10" beam. That would be a M10x12 and the flange would be close to 4 inches. Still pretty thin web.