Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: Air Compressor Water Drain??

I took the little spigot off and checked size and when to my local lowes and got an elbow, pipe, and ball valve with a garden hose adapter. I used a old scrap garden hose to route the hose outside so when I turn it on, I dont get any water all over inside.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

How much water you make depends on what kind of compressor you have, how you use it, and what conditions you use it under.

If you live where it's humid, and your compressor runs enough to get pretty hot all the time, your going to make water lots of water.

The best option is an electric solenoid operated, automatic drain like this: Electronic Air Compressor Tank Drain - TP Tools & Equipment.

You can set the amount of time it will be open, and how often, for you individual situation, and then worry about something else.

There are lots of different versions.

I drilled a hole in the concrete and stuck the drain hose in. That way, the mess ends up under the floor.

These valves are not cheap, but neither is a new tank. And they don't make tanks that last anymore.

A cheap box fan blowing air on the compressor, also helps to keep water production down.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    GR2120 L3240(sold) B1700(sold)

I have a automatic drain on my Quincy. When the compressor kicks out, some air shoots out the drain, taking moisture with it

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    A cheap box fan blowing air on the compressor, also helps to keep water production down.
    I fail to see how a fan blowing on the compressor will change the amount of condensed water vapor ends up in the compressor tank.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    I fail to see how a fan blowing on the compressor will change the amount of condensed water vapor ends up in the compressor tank.
    The fan helps keep the pump cool, if the pump stays cool, it doesn't heat the air as much.

In order for air to condense water, it must be cooled. If the air does not get real hot in the first place, it won't cool, or cool as much, when it gets to the tank. If it doesn't cool, it doesn't condense.

The fan helps keep the pump cool, if the pump stays cool, it doesn't heat the air as much.

In order for air to condense water, it must be cooled. If the air does not get real hot in the first place, it won't cool, or cool as much, when it gets to the tank. If it doesn't cool, it doesn't condense.
    I'll take your word for that, but if the water doesn't condense out of the air in the compressor's tank, does that mean the moisture is still suspended in the compressed air, and you get more moisture through your air hose and into your power tools?
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

I don't think so. How hot the air gets in the pump doesn't matter. What matters is the ambient temperature, the amount of moisture in the air, and the pressure in the tank. Air can hold less moisture at 100 psi than it can at atmospheric pressure. Air can hold more moisture at 150 degrees than it can at 90 degrees and even less at 70 degrees. When the air in the tank cools, the excess moisture will condense out.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    When the air in the tank cools, the excess moisture will condense out.
    So, you see that the air has to cool to condense, but you don't see the benefit of not heating it in the first place.

I had a entire career working in a shop, to find out what worked, and what didn't here. If you don't agree, don't put a fan on your compressor, I don't care.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

Regardless of how the temperature affects the air/water ratio, when water accumulates in the bottom of the tank it needs to be drained.

Like others, we added a galvanized 90 at the bottom of the tank and ran the drain outside. We dump the water outside instead of inside. When you live in Florida, you get water in the tank every time you use the compressor. If you use your compressor everyday, drain it every day. If you only use it occasionally, still drain it after each day's use.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Tractor
    2008 Kubota b2920

Will try the fan suggestion.

When using my shop air for cabinet blasting I get plenty of water production. I will often go drain the tank between cycles and also drain the dessicant air dryer.

Yet still get clogging issues with the sand after a while.
    ericher69
    IAFF Local 849

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast