Air Compressor Water Drain??

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #1  

monteu

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010
I have had my new compressor with a 80 gallon vertical tank installed for a couple weeks now. I had put off checking the drain valve to see if it had water in it. Surprise, this evening I drained around a gallon of water. It has no drain system installed just the little spigot at the bottom. There is not much clearance between it and the floor so I am going to have figure something out. What are you all doing for air compressor drains? pictures? thanks a lot

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #2  
I ran my drain out the wall of the shop, put a quarter turn valve just inside the wall and an elbow pointing down at the ground outside the wall. You'll also want to add a water trap in the line right after the compressor to make sure you get out as much water as possible before it hits your tools.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #4  
Gallon? you serious!!!??? IT would take a year for my 80 gallon to accumulate that much. thats crazy

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #5  
I have had my new compressor with a 80 gallon vertical tank installed for a couple weeks now. I had put off checking the drain valve to see if it had water in it. Surprise, this evening I drained around a gallon of water. It has no drain system installed just the little spigot at the bottom. There is not much clearance between it and the floor so I am going to have figure something out. What are you all doing for air compressor drains? pictures? thanks a lot

Ideally, drain it after every use. For my 30 gal tank that yields a splash on the cement floor that dries into groovy blast pattern. If you have enough water in your tank to create a puddle, then you aren't draining often enough.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #6  
I have an 80 gallon Devilbiss unit, I tipped the unit on it's side, removed the little drain valve and installed a 90 degree elbow, then ran a piece of galvanized pipe out past the bottom of the tank and installed a very small ball valve. Every time I get near the compressor I open the ballcock valve, out comes the condensation.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #7  
I have an 80 gallon Devilbiss unit, I tipped the unit on it's side, removed the little drain valve and installed a 90 degree elbow, then ran a piece of galvanized pipe out past the bottom of the tank and installed a very small ball valve. Every time I get near the compressor I open the ballcock valve, out comes the condensation.

Exact same thing I did, and exactly how I handle it. every time I walk by I give it a quick shot (might be daily, might be 2 weeks if I am not using it).

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #8  
Ideally, drain it after every use. For my 30 gal tank that yields a splash on the cement floor that dries into groovy blast pattern. If you have enough water in your tank to create a puddle, then you aren't draining often enough.

I agree.

I just have a 30 gallon upright rigged the same and I do the same as far as draining it. The only problem is that the elbow makes the drain just a tiny bit too long. It's supposed to be a portable compressor with wheels, but since I never move it anyway, I raised it a bit with wooden blocks.

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #9  
Tractor Supply has a drain kit with a 90 degree ell, a straight piece, and a valve for under $20.

Make sure if you start adding any piping or fittings that they are rated for the pressure, you do not want an shrapnel flying around the shop.

Ken

/ Air Compressor Water Drain?? #10  
Exact same thing I did, and exactly how I handle it. every time I walk by I give it a quick shot (might be daily, might be 2 weeks if I am not using it).

Yep, I have a Quincy and that is what I do.